Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.


Read today in WaPo:
NEARLY 25 million homes have at least one television set that will stop functioning in nine months [my italics], when the nation converts to digital over-the-air television. (Read the rest here if you want.)
Oh my god! The sky is falling!!

Ummm, wait ... aren't there a few things that are more important? I know, I know, I'm not a big t.v. viewer and some people are. But come on, 9 months is a good chunk of time and if it's important to people they'll do something about it. Before February.

9 comments:

Jan said...

tee-hee--all I could think of! I don't like tv much either, but that's what my husband is occupying his time with right now.

Suzy said...

So, Jan -- Is he researching which to go with, new t.v. or converter box? Just tell him he only has 9 short months to figure it out, or the Nielsen ratings will be negatively affected! :o)

Fran said...

As a 29 year employee of the media related (read - Television) industry this makes me want to scream.

I watch TV - not too much, but of my own choosing. For example, I watched HBO's Recount (about the 2000 election) last night and promptly got myself into a horrible mood. So much for choosing.

In any event, this whole digital conversion business has been around for over a decade. It is one of the things that makes me look back at Bill Clinton and shake my head.

Money money money, it is all about money in the end.

However, here is the real scoop... If someone has cable tv or satellite tv this is a non-issue.

If you have only over the air tv, then it is potentially an issue.

All of which brings it back to non-issue in the end.

Grrrr- I need to get a job, but I so do not want to go back there. Please don't make me go back there!!

tweetey30 said...

I dont watch much in the evenings but like it on during the day and all of our music is down stairs so its not like I can turn a radio on.

Suzy said...

I understand that tv serves a purpose for many people, and that's fine. But this hysteria over the switch to digital does seem to be about somebody profiting.

QuakerDave said...

Kill your TV or leave it to die this natural death.

Maybe now people will read more.

Suzy said...

Years ago I sat on my back porch watching some crazy neighbors beat their t.v. to death with a baseball bat. It was a pretty funny sight.

poodledoc said...

I read today that McCain is promising that if elected,he will replace all those TV's. No response as yet from the Democrats except Pelosi who said "I'm not taking MY TV off the table!"

Suzy said...

Of course, because she doesn't want to miss "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire!"