Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dental Work

I went to the dentist today ... first time in a long time. Even with insurance we have a pretty big outstanding debt from some crowns, and that puts a damper on things like preventive health care. I finally went however, and I need some work done -- no surprises there. But my dentist is cool*. For example, how many dentists' offices have The Nation as office reading material? How many dentists are former Union steamfitters? So I'll be going back in a few weeks to rack up some more debt. What the hell?

*Other cool facts about my dentist:
  • He does free dental work for people who cannot afford it, such as homeless men.
  • He junk-picks bicycles from off the curb and fixes them up.
  • His office is decorated with his wife's artwork, not the usual dental office schlock.
  • He plays good music.

6 comments:

QuakerDave said...

Sounds like a peach.

poodledoc said...

Stanley, right?

Suzy said...

Yup, Stanley. And I owe you a debt of gratitude for recommending him. He's fantastic. You should have heard Grace dishing up the thirteen year old sarcasm to him; it was hilarious.

Dave, he IS a peach. Not only are his politics in the right place, but he does good work. I feel extremely lucky to go to him.

Sorghum Crow said...

Nice, if it weren't so far I'd sign up. My dentist recently retired. His replacement is competent enough, but the reading material in the waiting room went from "Fine Homebuilding" to Forbes Magazine. And my new dentist is so young! She may look younger than she is, but dognabbit I feel old.

Ed said...

Don't forget that his hygienist's husband was my bass teacher for a few months when I was but a wee bairn.

lisahgolden said...

Good golly! The Dancer needs to find a new dentist. We should've had her consider the Univ. of WI!