Thursday, August 06, 2009

Near and Dear To My Heart



My regular readers (all 7!) know that I am passionate about "buy local" initiatives. I firmly believe that every dollar one spends is a vote, and I try to spend my dollars at locally owned businesses most of the time. So when I read about the 3/50 Project in the newspaper, I was pretty excited. The concept is easy. Choose 3 independently-owned businesses in your local community that you would really miss if they went out of business, and pledge to spend $50/month at each of them.

Can you think of 3 favorite independently-owned stores in your community that you would like to support?

4 comments:

Distributorcap said...

what a great idea

there is terrific pet store a few blocks from me. the Petco is closer and cheaper

i go to the local store.

i like that the owner loves dogs and cats and smiles at me

tweetey30 said...

That is a great idea but ouch I can only think of one here to be honest. That is our Woodman's Grocery Store..

Anonymous said...

Hiroshima Day.

Excellent, upbeat, informative post. Yes, I try to buy local, but it seems increasingly difficult, doesn't it? Thanks for the reminder -- and the good modeling!

I wonder if there is a list of all the locally-owned businesses in my city. I'll follow up on that.

This is my monthly or bi-monthly visit to your blog. I'm slowly sliding off the edge of BlogLand. I'll be back in a month.

poodledok said...

Thanks for this. I'm wondering if we could generate a list of local stores in Madison in various categories. The "buy local" food "movement" has received a lot of publicity of late, as it should. So this buy local is an important variation on this.