I woke up this morning to find the tiny corpse of a mouse lying in our upstairs hallway, right outside the bedrooms. A few feet away was one of the cats, wearing a "Who, me?" look. The other cat appeared shortly after I had picked up the deceased in a body baggie to carry outside. She went right to the bag and sniffed it, then went to the place where the victim was first found and gave that a sniff as well. With a shrug of her kitty shoulders (or so I imagined), she too gave me a look of innocence. I see how it is; neither one will admit to being the murderer.
The thing is, I cannot imagine either of these pampered, clutzy, indoor cats having the wherewithal to catch, much less kill a mouse. Perhaps all of those hours sitting on the back of the couch watching "birdie TV" out the window are paying off. They have honed their skills, like an armchair big game hunter watching Marlon Perkins every Sunday evening.
I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come, because I walk around barefoot in the dark most mornings. I might be in for some nasty surprises.
4 comments:
Shall I send you some thick-soled slippers?
With headlights, please.
No way those sissified cats did the mouse in. I know. I have one myself who would never survive if he had to rely on his finely honed animal instincts. That mouse was a suicide I tell ya. Did you find a tiny note anywhere? They usually leave a note. Unless your kitties are so needy as to take credit for a kill that was not their own and they got rid of the evidence. They do that you know.
My daughter used to have books about mouse fairies who left little tiny notes everywhere. I'd better start looking … I did find a stuffed animal under my daughter's bed that apparently been stuffed with some sort of grain; it's throat was chewed open with stuffing spilling out: seeds mixed with mousie turds. Hmmm.
Post a Comment