As recently as six months ago, Madison's independent bookstores seemed to be bucking the national trend that has reduced the number of shops from 4,500 in 1993 to 2,700 this year. But store owners like Sandy Torkildson, co-owner of A Room of One's Own, are now noting that Minneapolis has lost nearly all its independent bookstores and fear that Madison could go the same way.Spending your dollars within your community makes a difference. It's true. And if there is not an independent bookstore in your community, is there one nearby that you could shop at before turning to the corporate store or the internet? Most bookstores can special order just about anything, if you're able to wait. Same with record stores. And if you do turn to the internet, are you buying from an independent business?As Star Books prepares to close, there is plenty of concern among local bookstore owners over several unnerving trends they say are undermining their businesses, including a massive consumer shift to online book buying, easy access to information on the Internet, corporate booksellers, rising rents and increasing competition for people's time.
A few independent bookstores in and around Madison: A Room of Ones Own, Rainbow Bookstore Cooperative, Prairie Books (a sweet, well-stocked little book store on Main Street in Mt. Horeb), Paul's (used) Books on State Street.
On the internet: Powells, BookSense (a cooperative of independent book stores; you can find out here where your nearest indy book store is located or buy a gift card that is good at any BookSense store anywhere in the country.)
Locally owned businesses keep communities economically healthy.
They also give communities their unique flavors.
Ignore your independent bookstores, and they will certainly go away.





3 comments:
I'm glad you mentioned Booksense, I didn't know about that. I really enjoy the little bookstore in Mt Horrid.
Also, I think the pendulum will swing the other way in the very near future. Who's going to want to drive all the way out to Border's when gas costs $10 per gallon. Not me!
Also, I know Powells is not Amazon, but by using the internet, doesn't that contribute to the indie bookstore problem? I mean I could buy a book at Powell's. I don't have to get my butt out of my chair. I can avoid going to the evil empire stores. But that's money I'm NOT spending at Room or Star books, etc. Or am I missing the point here?
Are you missing the point? Absolutely not. I think this article seems to be saying that internet sales are really cutting into indy bookstores' business, because people like the fact they can sit in their jammies at 2 a.m. and order books without ever getting off their butts. So, you're right -- Powells might be part of the problem.
So here's my new and improved book buying flow chart:
1)Go to local, indy store (or call and order -- they might even mail it to you if you were willing to pay shipping, so you can STILL sit on your butt in your Hello Kitty jammies with the feet)
2) If that fails, THEN you can order from an online indy like Powells
3) If you can't get it elsewhere I guess I'll still talk to you if you insist on shopping at a corporate bookstore, either locally or online. (But remember Amazon gives money to Rethuglicans.)
But, I don't have any Hello Kitty jammies with feet! I do have Gumby, though. That might help me stay away from The Evil Empire.....
Post a Comment