Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Let's Play!

(Warning: This post contains irreverent sentiments toward an organized religion or two.)
This headline caught my eye this evening:

Wal-Mart To Test Bible Action Figures In 425 Stores
We've got something way cooler than that at our house -- Mormon action figures! Captain Moroni, Samuel the Lamanite ... they belong to Mr. Ether. Really. A few years back we were in Salt Lake City where my brother somehow ended up living. Mr. Ether was on a "mission" to buy Mormon refrigerator magnets, so we stopped at a Deseret Bookstore. (That's an LDS bookstore chain.) He went in while we waited in the car. And waited. And waited. Finally I went in looking for him, and there he was stocking up on action figures! He was pretending to be a concerned Mormon dad buying wholesome toys for his lovely children. I think I blew his cover when I burst out laughing and said something like, "What the -- Why are you buying THOSE???" Captain Moroni disappeared for a while -- we think he went on a mission -- so we had to have my brother mail us another one.
(Check out Brother of Jared's glow in the dark stones ... COOL! I wonder if they're peep stones.)

I've grown to appreciate our LDS action figures. They're great ice-breakers at parties.

I'm waiting for the Quaker action figures. George Fox, with a battery-operated Light within! William Penn with a removable sword ("He wears it as long as he can!") Margaret Fell with interchangeable plain and fancy dress. And they all feature patented "Sit-in-Silence" technology. Made from recycled materials, Fair Trade, and available only at independent and locally owned bookstores.

5 comments:

poodledoc said...

Don't forget another Quaker action doll: Bayard Rustin. Oh, and then there's the Judy Densch Quaker action doll and the Ben Kinsley one, too.

Suzy said...

There could be the "historical" line and the "contemporary" line. "Hey, Chuck, I'll trade you a Bayard Rustin for a Judy Densch ..."

poodledoc said...

Maybe Pleasant Rowling..oops, I mean Rowland would be interested. But I hear she's marketing a Nicole Kidman action figure....what do you think of that?

Suzy said...

What does the Nicole Kidman action figure DO?

Many eons ago there was an action figure named, I think, Big Jim and he had a button on his back that when pushed made his right arm do a karate chop. My friend and I (aged about 14) discovered that if we put his right hand inside of his removable red athletic trunks and pushed the button ... well, we were endlessly amused late one night, that's all.

poodledoc said...

Fiddles with her hair and smirks.

Thanks for sharing your deep, dark childhood secrets!