Saturday, July 21, 2007

Pass the Popcorn

We went out to see a movie last night. I'm a tough film-goer to please (i.e. stubborn, opinionated, judgmental, dogmatic, and snobbish.) In fact, I've all but stopped going to movies -- or even watching them at home -- because I fear and resent disappointment. So it is such a pleasure to come home and feel that both my time and money have been well spent, that I haven't been shamelessly manipulated into feeling something for characters who are totally unbelievable or unlikeable, and that my intelligence wasn't insulted.

No, we didn't go to Harry Potter. We saw Mira Nair's The Namesake. Like all of her movies, it explores the straddling and melding of Bengali and American culture. This one is about a family living in New York City; the Indian-born parents and American-born children and specifically the drama around the oldest son who has the unlikely name of "Gogol."

It is a beautiful and loving portrayal of a family. If you have a chance to see it, I highly recommend it.

5 comments:

poodledoc said...

Luminiferous:

Thanks for the movie review. I'd like to see it.

Did you go to Sundance? teehee

I just got my Harry Potter book this morning (be still my beating heart!) and noted that JK Rowling has a quote from William Penn on the first page. Do you think she's a Quaker?

Suzy said...

Yes, Grace noticed that quote right away too! What do you make of it? Will I have to read the first page to find out?

Sundance Schmundance: We went to the 2nd run theater, where even Sundance sends its films! Three bucks for a movie! That's my kind of price.

poodledoc said...

I think the Penn quote speaks to death and remembrance. The way friends are immortal in our memories. And believe me, I'm only in chapter 5 and there's been a lot of death so far...........but I don't want to spoil it for you, in case you want to read it on your own! teehee

I am going to look up the original Penn quote, not that Rowling would ever change it or anything!

Suzy said...

I wondered if any of those "friends" should have been capitalized. (She probably thought it was a typo ...)

Vimes forever!

poodledoc said...

Yes, I wondered the same thing about "friends". That's why I want to find the original quote. I may have to interrupt my Harry Potter vacation to do that.......