I thought I was going to the DMV with my daughter this morning to get her driving learner's permit, but when the muffler mostly fell off the car last evening, it was clear that my plans had changed.
I spent an hour waiting in a parking lot for a tow truck to come and get my beloved 1990 Volvo wagon (dubbed "the hippie-mobile" by a friend, a label we wear proudly) and take it to our mechanic.
When I called the AAA dispatcher (located who knows where) and told her where I was, she said, "Madison, Wisconsin -- recently voted the most literary city in the U.S." Well, then ... what else could I do but take along a book of Wendell Berry's poetry to read while I waited for the tow truck? And my knitting, of course.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
That sucks. Too late for the bunji (sp?) cables?
Well, the picture wire didn't hold. Besides I was feeling self-conscious about driving around in a car that sounded like a World War 1 era plane. Better to get it repaired, and I think it is at least partially covered by a warranty.
How did your daughter react? I'm impressed you had a book of Wendell Berry's poetry with you. Madison must be the most literary city!
Sorry that frustrating event happened today for you and your daughter.
Hi, Jan. My daughter was fine with it, thanks for asking. My sense is she's not wild to learn to drive. Maybe that's OK. As for old Wendell, I love his writing. I just bought the book day before yesterday. I'm a literary snob ... sort of. Well, no. I just really like good writing. And I read a lot. Especially in summer, when I am not teaching.
And you knit! I read your message on my blog this am. No time right this second but I will get back to you early next week.
Nice to meet you!
Lumiferous,
I'm writing you from Barriques Cafe on Monroe Street. No more internet at home.
You are one PROLIFIC writer. I had to read about 12 posts to catch up.
I'm sorry about the muffler. I am so sorry about the insulin stick. How frightening.
I enjoyed your post about Pete Seeger -- but not just that one. I always love the passion that drives your blogs.
Post a Comment