As was touted in a video I posted a few weeks back, our city is blessed with myriad bikeways. With a few exceptions, you can get almost anywhere on designated bike/pedestrian paths in about the same amount of time it takes to drive a car. Sometimes less, depending on traffic! Recently my routes have taken me along lakeshore, river and creek, past a Cajun music festival, under bridges and through old rail underpasses, not quite over the river and through the woods but almost. And this is all within 5 miles of my home!Getting places under my own steam is a real joy. I ride an English 3-speed, which I figure to be about 60 years old, and it's just about perfect. My bike mechanic tells me that for $500 he could totally overhaul it: rebuild the hub, replace the wheels with lightweight aluminum, make it a lighter and faster bike overall. It's tempting; maybe if I come into some extra money someday. Until then I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing. It's one of the pleasures of not-winter.





2 comments:
"I ride an English 3-speed, which I figure to be about 60 years old, and it's just about perfect."
I am jealous, my bike is only 40 y.o. or so. If you look on the rear hub, you might be able to see a month and year stamped into the metal that will give you the age of your bike.
Ha! I just left a bike-related comment on your site too. Thanks for the tip, I will look.
Oh, and I'm wrong about the age ... it's early sixties vintage -- I got ahead of myself there.
Post a Comment