Thursday, December 20, 2007

What is the belief that keeps me sane?

This is a question that was posed by Thailand Chani.

The belief that keeps me sane is that we were put on this earth to love and be loved. I wear a bracelet with the inscription, "Live to love, love to live" and that's what I try to remember and live by each day.

What is the belief that keeps you sane?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn it, there you go again sounding all sensible and stuff. I like your credo. Making others think, laugh, and hopefully enjoy life a little more is what keeps me sane.

pygalgia said...

I don't know if it's a belief as much as a slogan, but in my youth I saw a line in Walt Kelly's wonderful comic strip "Pogo" that has stuck with me: "Don't take life so serious; it ain't no ways permanent."
Your choice is excellent, and they do mesh.

Suzy said...

These are all things that make us human, aren't they?

Pygalgia, I love Pogo! I have a button on my backpack with Pogo saying the famous, "We have met the enemy ..." This is off on a bit of a tangent, but have you seen the graphic novel Bone? It's very Pogo-esque. I also just discovered the comic Mutt, which pays homage to many old comic masters. I married into a family of cartoonists.

Ginnie said...

Yes, it does make you think. My philosophy on life is "Cease Expecting and You Have All Things". That keeps me "right-sized" and content with what I have.

Sorghum Crow said...

I'd have to get sane first.

Suzy said...

Good one, S. Crow.

poodledoc said...

Several things keep me sane. Yes, laughter. A sick aand twisted sense of humor. My beliefe that there is God (and hope) in everyone, my love for my son (even when he's doing improper fractions), and my sincere hope that the Cubs win the World Series before I die.

When you are trying to stay sane, it's always good go have backup plans.....

QuakerDave said...

That above all else, people are basically good.

As far as a motto, I always go back to Satchel Paige: ""Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Dance like nobody's watching."

Some Guy said...

You have a Secret Santa gift waiting for you at:

andsomeguysblog.blogspot.com

Hope it fits!

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzy,
I like this post a lot. I like your sane-ifying thought. Hmmmm, I don't have a thought that keeps me sane, it's always like I have to pull one out of my hat in emergencies. Give me a few months and I'll get back to you.

Fran said...

Not to sound like a copycat, but basically what you said... I think of it as to love and to serve.

I do not think of love as merely an emotion or a feeling. No- to me it is rather an action, a decision, a commitment. It is a way of being.

So that is the underpinning of it all for me.

That and a great sense of humor. It is why I am so crazily happy with my husband. He manages to make me laugh more often than not, which is a beautiful thing.

Jan said...

Suzy, I want to live to love, though I sometimes forget and look at me, me, me too much. Thank you for the return to sanity.

Pam said...

Your bracelet says it all for me.

thailandchani said...

It is definitely the inherent goodness in all of us. If I didn't believe that ultimately, this is not a place I'd want to be. :)

Dr. Zaius said...

"I like dots." - Pacman

Suzy said...

Dr. Zaius ... I like dots too! Yum!