Saturday, January 12, 2008
A New Broom Sweeps Clean
I caved in this afternoon and tackled my youngest child's bedroom. I am relatively certain that she never reads my blog, so I can talk about it somewhat freely here.
Oh. My. God. That's pretty much my response every time I decide that enough is enough, and try to make inroads. This is a tiny room, mind you, and a kid who saves everything. She had a small library's-worth of books under her bed, beanie babies, plastic trinkets, craft projects that were started and forgotten about ... but what strikes me most every time I do this, is the amount stuff that is, quite literally, trash.
Of course it begs the question "Why doesn't she just throw it in the waste basket right there at the time?" but there is a larger question about the amount of trash we, as a society, generate. Practically every single thing that we buy generates trash. It is impossible to buy even a pair of socks that doesn't necessitate the throwing away of at least two pieces of garbage, one of them non-degradable plastic.
There is almost no getting away from it. Sometimes I joke that the human race is going to die under a mountain of those obnoxious cellophane straw-wrappers that come with juice boxes. I challenge you to walk through a park where children's soccer games are held and not find a juice box straw-wrapper!
Ah well, I tackled the bed and dresser, next comes the closet. God only knows how many pounds of wrappers from the ghost of Halloweens past I'm going to find.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
Ooh, I remember those cleaning rampages. Shudder. Run for your life, Grace!! :-P
You make some good points here, as usual. I am astounded at how quickly paper accumulates in my house.
So, Cinderbelle, I'd be interested if you posted a photo of your dorm room. Dare you. Double dog dare you! LOL
Good for you!
Thank you for the Oscar the Grouch song. That made me smile. Great orchestration.
I learned last year that kids in 18th-century America didn't have to pick up their rooms -- there was nothing to pick up! Interesting.
I wish you strength and clarity of vision.
I'm planning on tackling my sons' rooms soon.
I have to wait for UPS to deliver the mail-order flamethrower first, though...
My dorm room is actually very clean, Poodledoc. My desk is kind of messy right now, but I clean it quite regularly. I have no class tomorrow, so that is one of the things that will be happening instead.
Oh, and I just wanted to say that that's not a trombone in the video. Oscar, learn your instruments! :-P
Post a Comment