Saturday, February 23, 2008

This is What Democray Looks Like


Where has this week gone? Lost, it seems, in busy-ness and some recurring neck and shoulder pain (and I'm sure the two are related.)

As you probably heard, ad nauseum, Wisconsin held its presidential primary election on Tuesday. I decided to apply to be an election official. The elderly people at my polling place always look like they are having a good time, and I thought it would be a good citizen kind of thing to do, so I signed up and took the afternoon off from work to do it.

Last Saturday I went to a 2 hour training session. Immediately I was impressed with, not only the number of people there, but the diversity of the group: young, old, in between, all races. People really seem to care about this election in a way that I haven't noticed before. The city clerk led the training, which consisted of going over a whole slew of possible scenarios that could come up on voting day -- what id is needed to register to vote, when to issue a provisional ballot, how to do curbside voting when someone is physically unable to walk into the polling place, etc.

I was also struck by the feeling that the whole point of the voting process was to be accessible, not to limit access. Maybe the city clerk in Dade County, Florida gives the same song and dance to their election officials during training, but people seem to take it very seriously here.

So on Tuesday afternoon I showed up at my assigned polling place, the Gates of Heaven Synagogue in the heart of one of the largest student apartment neighborhoods in town. (Just as an aside, to any old Chicago blues fans out there: the official whom I was relieving was Jim Schwall, half of the legendary Siegel-Schwall Band from the sixties and seventies. Jim is a local guy, very nice, ran for mayor a few years ago.)

Madison allows on site voter registration, as long as the person has acceptable proof of their address, so from 1 p.m. until 8 when the polls closed, I sat at a table and registered new voters or filled out change-of-address forms. There was not any period of time when we were not busy. There was a window of about 2 hours when we were so busy I thought I was going to collapse! (Or as I said to my co-registrar, the last time I dealt with lines like those was 11-2 on 25¢ chili-dog Tuesdays back when I worked at the A&W as a teenager.) And still they kept coming. Right up until 8 p.m. (And one guy who wandered in around 9 when we were tallying the absentee ballots for the ward. He was disappointed.)

We use paper ballots and optical scanners to read them. Periodically the scanner would become full or jammed. At that point the site supervisor would call for the attention of everyone in the room. She would say something like, "Hear ye, hear ye. [Yes, she really said that. She'd probably been waiting her entire life for an opportunity to say that.] I need to let everyone present know that we will be opening the opening the ballot box and removing ballots. Those ballots will be put in a secure place and counted. I am not doing anything illegal." At which point everyone in the room would burst into spontaneous applause. And the mayhem would continue.

Wisconsin restores voting rights to felons who have completed their sentences. (Another big difference between us and Florida, besides the 6 foot piles of snow that we are currently experiencing.) However I did have a list, 2 pages double-sided, of possible residents of that ward who are on parole and would not be able to vote. As far as I know, not one of them tried to.

One woman who had worked at that location for the last 8 years said that she had never seen the number of voters go beyond 500. By the end of the evening the scanner had counted 1,319 votes.

I had no idea before this that absentee ballot are sent to the ward in which the absentee voter would normally vote. After the polls closed, we had to open, assign a voter number to and scan all of the absentee ballots. (And so much for confidentiality -- I got to see who a former student teacher of mine had voted for. Hee hee.)

Ladies and gentlemen, here are the final stats for the polling at Gates of Heaven synagogue:

Democrats
Kucinich … 8
Clinton … 233
Biden … 0
Gravel … 1
Dodd … 1
Obama … 997
Edwards … 5
Richardson … 0
Write-in … 3 (I know that at least one of these was for Russ Feingold)

Republicans
Hunter … 0
Thompson (Fred, not Tommy our former governator who hated teachers) … 0
Tancredo … 0
Romney … 1
Paul … 31
Huckabeebee … 9
McCain … 28
Giuliani … 0
Write-in … 2 (and at least one of these was for Rush Limbough, misspelled)

I got home at around 10:30 p.m., utterly exhausted. (One big problem that would be easy to address is the lighting in the building. It is an historic building, now owned by the city parks department and rented out for weddings, funerals, and contra dances, and the lighting, quite frankly -- and I'm going to use a word here that I always tell my kids not to use -- sucked. What gives? Bring in some supplemental lighting for Pete's sake!) I still don't feel like I have recovered. It was like being run over by stampeding ... probably donkeys, is the most accurate thing to say here, given the outcome. But it was an enlightening experience. If I do it again -- and that is an if -- because come November it will be even crazier, I know -- I'll take lots of healthy snacks with me and I don't think I'll do registration.

All in all it was a good glimpse into something that I just take for granted.

8 comments:

Ed said...

Interesting that, though the lighting "sucked", it was an enlightening experience.

Suzy said...

No, no ... you did it all wrong, Ed. You were supposed to comment thusly:

Suzy: You said "the lighting 'sucked' and then you said it was "it was an enlightening experience." This is so typical of the way that liberals flip-flop of the issues ...

See, Ed? If you want to be a troll, you have to do it right. Some people have elevated trolldom to a high art (although how it can be"high art" when it dwells in the darkness under the bridge is beyond a lily-livered liberal like me.)

poodledoc said...

Yes,in a democracy, only my dog, Duke, gets a write-in for "Register of Deeds". But what better creature for that office but a dog, especially a male dog, who registers his "deeds" everywhere...........this is why the terrorists hate us.

Suzy said...

I thought "registering one's deeds" meant, like, scattering one's spawn across the landscape. Therefore, if Duke were a "Registrar of Deeds" we would be overrun with black poodle mixes, Gods forbid.

QuakerDave said...

I have already decided that I'm going to do this, when I retire. It's true: the retired folks at our polling place always look like they are having a great time, and I like that type of involvement in the community.

Jess Wundrun said...

Did you read the comments in Sunday's Wi State Journal forum?

Unhinged are our right wing neighbors. One young woman wrote in to say that Obama won because so many republicans decided to vote for him in the open primary. And they won't vote for him in the fall.

I guess she failed to note the number of people who voted for Obama because they want him to win created a greater voter turnout around the whole country than we've seen in ages.

BTW - republican Ben W. voted for Obama too - but because he wants him to win the whole enchilada.

bobbie said...

I enjoyed this post so much! It was quite an experience, wasn't it? I always enjoy voting, as much for being able to watch the people like you at the polling place, as anything else. They do enjoy themselves.
Came to read your blog thanks to Caroline's Crayons. I'll be back aain for sure.

Suzy said...

Bobbie, Welcome.

Jess, that's great about Ben W. Guess he can stop sleeping on the couch now, huh?