Monday, May 26, 2008

My weekend has been great. How about you?

It has been a weekend of "my cup runneth over." We went to Minnesota on Saturday for the wedding of my second oldest nephew. Four out of the six of us siblings were there, along with our kids plus various spouses, partners, and a couple of their young children. We stayed in the same crappy hotel and it was a riotous affair of retelling the old outrageous stories about our mother, jumping on the beds, and eating stale Froot Loops for breakfast.

I hadn't seen one brother in several years, and he flew in from his new home (less than one week!!) in Austin, Texas just for the weekend. Seeing him would have been sweet enough, but he informed us that he and his long-time partner had gotten married about 6 weeks ago. (It's not the first time he's done this. Hopefully, however, it will be the last.)

I wish we had more time with my sister, but she was mother of the groom and had myriad responsibilities. (Like getting snockered at the reception.)

All of that should have been enough. My heart was brimming with love for my family as we made the long trek back home to Wisconsin. But we got home to a voice mail message from my other sister on the east coast, telling us that her son, my oldest nephew, and his wife had delivered their first child early yesterday morning, a daughter. Welcome to the world, little Zora!

So in a sense, this weekend my family increased by three: Heidi, my new niece by marriage; Laura, my new sister-in-law; and Zora, my great-niece. I have a big old goofy smile on my face as I write all of this. My siblings and I have our own share of baggage and dysfunction, but we don't have to dig too deep to find the love. It has been a very satisfying weekend.

6 comments:

QuakerDave said...

Slow and quiet. Lots of sunshine and warm here. Lots of time in the garden yesterday.

Just about perfect.

Jan said...

Thanks for sharing your joy and that of your family.

Fran said...

That is so beautiful - it made me tear up and feel a lot of love.

Thank you for sharing this great tale of family.

poodledoc said...

Long walks, writing, great talks with F/friends, keeping my son out of trouble (at a Quaker camp that's not too hard!)

Sounds like an amazing weekend for you! Stale Fruit Loops, too! Wow!

And yes, as you can see, I've broken through your force field! bwahahahahaha

tweetey30 said...

Congrats on the new additions. Its great that you have a big old smile on your face while posting this. I know I would too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Luminiferous. More blossoms on the family vine! I find it kind of, I don't know, spooky to add people to our family when Joe and Sally have passed. But then I realize that we are the generation now, and that the younger ones hoot behind our backs about our warts and farting and mysterious facial hair. This post made me really happy.