Sunday, February 15, 2009

Stem Cell Research

I was heartened to see this in the news today:
Expect an executive order soon from President Barack Obama on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.

That's the word from White House adviser David Axelrod.

Under President George W. Bush, federal money for research on human embryonic stems cells was limited to those stem cell lines that were created before Aug. 9, 2001. No federal dollars could be used on research with cell lines from embryos destroyed from that point forward.

I believe that my mother's death in 2001 was hastened, albeit indirectly, by Bush's ban on stem cell research. My mom was diagnosed with nonHodgekin's lymphoma in late spring of 2001. Her oncologist was very involved with doing stem cell research at the University of Wisconsin at that same time. I think that he was exceedingly distracted by the fallout from Bush's ruling, and consequently my mother did not get his full attention. She may not have lived much longer anyway, but I firmly believe she could have been a hell of a lot more comfortable. The doctor dropped the ball on that one, but would it have been different had he not been distracted?

Oh well, water under the bridge now, but I think of it when stem cell research comes up.


5 comments:

QuakerDave said...

They'll rip him for this, but all I can do is thank God. It's about frickin' time.

tweetey30 said...

I see good and bad in that area. I mean if it can save another child but after that I dont see the point.. They do lots of things now a days that if God didnt intend for those to have babies they wouldnt but they have all this high tech crap now where a woman can get pregnant or help getting there. Anwyay lets see where this takes us and our drs.

QuakerDave said...

I lost my beloved grandfather to ALS, which I believe is a disease manufactured by the devil himself. He went from being a robust 250+ pound man, full of life and full of fun, to being a slobbering, whithered shell who weighed less than 100 pounds and who didn't even know we were in the room with him when he finally - thankfully - died.

The day our president signs this bill, I will do the happy dance.

poodledoc said...

I hear you Suzy and QD. Many have died because of Bush's stupidity in this and other areas. After the Bush ruling in 2001, scientists managed to circumvent the ban and make stem cells from other ceels such as fibroblasts. They have been used in curing disease already. If the ban is lifted, the stem cell field will explode with many more cures. Bush set the stem cell field back but didn't stop it. I'm hoping Obama opens the door.

poodledoc said...

Another piece for me is that at least 24 individuals, with lymphoma, have had their immune systems and cancer cells destroyed on purpose, then replaced by stemm cells. All 24 attempts have been successful, even with Bush's stupid ban. With the ban overturned by Obama, amazing things will happen. But they may not happen as fast as the layperson expects. But they WILL happen. They are happening.