Monday, March 02, 2009

Tales From the Halls of Learning, part 3

Last week I was in my classroom while my students were coming in from lunch. It's a little bit of a chaotic time, with some kids in the room getting ready for rest time, while the pokey ones (same ones every day) are still at their lockers, usually up to no good. Suddenly there is a bloodcurdling scream followed by loud wailing. I am alarmed. I run out into the hallway and see one of my girls -- I'll call her Eugenia -- sitting on the floor, crying. I ask her what happened. She says, "Matilda* pushed me really hard!" I look at Matilda. She's about 6 feet away, putting her coat in her locker in a seemingly innocent way. I beckon her over and she comes, a little reluctantly. I ask, "Did you push Eugenia down?" Almost imperceptibly, she nods. I ask, "Why did you push her?" Matilda blurts out, "Well she was in my face going, 'MEOW MEOW MEOW' and she wouldn't stop!!"

Sigh. *hits head against wall* Kindergarten.

*not her real name

4 comments:

Ed said...

Going "MEOW MEOW MEOW" in someone's face is almost as bad as blowing on someone's hair. What was that kid supposed to do?

Jan said...

I'd forgotten such things. . . .

lisahgolden said...

Sounds like home. "He's breathing my air!!!!"

Except mine are well past kindergarten.

Suzy said...

I always like "Don't look out my window!!" in the car.