I had an unsettling experience this morning. When I went to the garage to get my bike for the (ridiculously short) commute to work, I immediately knew that something was not right. We're pretty loosey-goosey about our garage, which mostly seems to be a haven for the neighbor's cat, squirrels, and once, a skunk ... but things didn't look right. My first thought was for Mr. Ether's bike, a nice vintage Trek and by far the most valuable. It was there, all the bikes were there, but his bike and mine were kind of tipped over. My bike had a big old grafitti sticker stuck to the seat that hadn't been there before, and when I went to ride it, the seat was tipped up at an awkward angle.
Furthermore, in a burst of common sense Mr. Ether had closed the garage door when we left on our little vacation last week, but when we returned he found the garage door open and Sparkly Seacow's bike in the driveway. He didn't make much of it, until my discovery today.
It looks as if someone came and took our bikes out for a spin and then returned them. How strange is that? I'm grateful that they were only borrowed, not stolen, but I still feel somewhat violated. I guess the lesson is to lock up our bikes, even in the garage, and keep the door closed.
Odd, very odd.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
That is kind of creepy - ick. Glad you still have your bikes though.
Wow, what does this say? I loathe locks but see their purpose.
*sigh*
We used to leave our door unlocked, until the day Ed came home and saw 2 strange guys standing inside the back porch getting ready to come on in. However I purposely leave the car unlocked, hoping that someone will steal the broken tape deck so I can get insurance money to replace it!
Very strange. My bikes are one of the few things I could not replace, being composed primarily of good memories and spare parts.
That is odd and I hope who ever did this comes back to get caught the next time.. But then again I hope they dont come back. It was great meeting you. I have been meaning to post about that but I got sick on Monday and havent fully recovered yet.
Yeesh. Very creepy.
Lock. your. doors.
The world is getting too weird not to.
Strangely unusual and thanks for the blogroll link.
That's pretty weird. Glad you have your bikes still.
Post a Comment