Wednesday, April 01, 2009

National Poetry Month Begins ...

I do not consider myself a poet. I'm too self-conscious to write quite so intimately. However, our family enjoys making up classical haiku, mainly about our cats Feather and Daisy. Here are a few that were written on the whiteboard on our fridge for about 2 years. I'm not sure which family member wrote which poem. Mr. Ether will probably set me straight.

Daisy sits atop
the dirty kitchen linens.
Does she need a wash?

The mighty huntress
lies in wait for the ambush.
Brrt! Into the tub.
(This one commemorates Daisy's habit of hanging out in the bathroom at the top of the stairs and hopping into the tub with a kitty chirp when you come up the stairs. Weirdo.)

Stealthily she creeps
stalking the wild shoelaces.
Oopsies! Claws got stuck.

Sleek, silky, black fur.
Relentlessly she meows,
"Throw the damned pom-pom!"

The cat wants downstairs.
Loving the chase, the dog waits.
Ow! Bloody shoulders.

4 comments:

Ed said...

Let's see, in the order you posted them:
I think you wrote #1 and #2, the third one was a joint venture between you and me, I'm fairly certain Cinderbelle is responsible for #4, and I wrote #5. So, there you have it.

Suzy said...

I think I collaborated on #4. As I recall, Cinderbelle also wrote a limerick.

Cinderbelle said...

I didn't write 4. I only wrote the limerick. Which you then changed. I think you wrote 4.

Jan said...

Talented family--interesting, too!