If you go down to Wincanton in Somerset today you can wander down Peace Pie Street and Treacle Mine Road, named after Sir Terry Pratchett's fantasy series Discworld.
Pratchett visited the town today to unveil the road names at a new housing estate, and was greeted by hundreds of fans – many dressed in costume.
Wincanton was twinned with the city of Ankh-Morpork from the novels in 2002, becoming the first UK town to link with a fictional place.
The builder of the Kingwell Rise development, George Wimpey, asked locals to vote for their favourite road name from a shortlist of 14 suggested by Pratchett.
Pratchett said: "I think it's a lovely idea, even though it makes my head spin to think of the books becoming a little closer to reality.
"And they are nice names, even though I say it myself.
"Personally, I'd pay good money to live somewhere called Treacle Mine Road."
So would I. 3 cheers for the citizens of Wincanton!





4 comments:
I'm jealous of anyone who lives on Treacle Mine Road!
Now that is fun news! I'm eating M&Ms at 12:46a.m. - can I pretend it's treacle?
I'd rather work at the Treacle Mine.
I don't know -- wouldn't you have to mingle with dwarves?
Post a Comment