Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Following My Muse

I just got home from my bi-weekly guitar lesson. More and more I am finding that I look forward to these lessons. What I mean by that is, that although I have been enjoying learning to play, I often feel a sense of shame around lessons: I haven't practiced enough, I'm going to make a fool of myself, and so on and so forth. However, my new teacher is so encouraging and the music that she is giving me to learn is exactly what I want to be learning. It is a very good fit.

As I was driving to my lesson today I was musing about me and the guitar, and I realized that when I'm playing -- when I get into what Mr. Ether calls "the zone" -- it really is playing in the truest childhood sense of the word. When I can let go of my inhibitions, and quit feeling like I'm channeling the Eugene Levy/Catherine O'Hara duo from A Mighty Wind, I feel so happy.

The late, great educator John Holt addressed that in a book he wrote about learning to play the cello as an older adult, Never Too Late. It's been a few years since I read it, but if I remember correctly, he wondered if we set up psychological barriers when we talk about "practicing" an instrument, and would it be different if it was just referred to as "playing." I haven't thought about that for a long time, but I suspect he was onto something.

That's it for now. I have to go and play my guitar.

8 comments:

Sorghum Crow said...

I tried to follow my muse, but she took out a restraining order....

Fran said...

This post is lovely - it fills me with a certain kind of hope. Nothing specific, which is great, just a sense of light and hope.

Keep playing - keep shining - keep hoping!

tweetey30 said...

Great Post Suzy. I have always been told that you are as old as you feel and you can anything you put your mind to. So I am going back to school finally.. yayy...

Suzy said...

Congrats, Tweetey! That's really cool.

lisahgolden said...

You really do inspire me. I've wanted to learn guitar for a long, long time and I've never pursued it. I do love the idea that it's never too late to learn.

Unknown said...

I think learning is difficult and that you are right you must let go of your inhibitions to learn anything because sometimes learning requires mistakes and that is embarrassing. Who wants to be embarrassed? But if you let go then the wonder of learning can happen in music or math or anything. Play It!

Mark said...

Suzy--

I just started "How Children Fail," and read "How Children Learn" last fall. One of the blurbs on one of these books calls him "the American Piaget," which I think is apt....

Your Old Friend,

Mark

Suzy said...

Hi, Mark! I've been thinking about you ...