Saturday, June 13, 2009

22 Years

In what is possibly a first, Mr. Ether (a.k.a. Enriched Geranium) beat me to a blog post about our wedding anniversary. Over the years -- and particularly in the struggle for marriage equality for all people -- I've thought deep philosophical thoughts about the meaning of having the State sanction one's relationship with another person. Having it all to do over again, perhaps we would have chosen otherwise, BUT (and you know there's always a big but) even had we not gone through all of the legal mumbo-jumbo and the ceremony and the celebration (which I am sure is the only wedding in history to include a Gumby pinata and a seeing eye dog,) it would not have changed the wanting to spend my life with Ed.

To get to the point, I married my best friend and it was the best thing I ever did. Happy anniversary, Ed. I love you.

5 comments:

QuakerDave said...

You two are adorable. He had kind of a Val Kilmer vibe going there, didn't he?

Congrats and many, many happy, happy returns.

QuakerDave said...

It's interesting. Last weekend, at the Quaker retreat thing I attended, a bunch of us got into a conversation about how so many of us had weather-related wedding day sorta-disaster stories to share. Like the fact that The Missus and I got married on the rainiest day of the decade (the 80s). We were laughing our asses off.

Sitting at the table with us was a young Friend (younger than me, at least) who happens to be gay and who also happens to have a long-term partner in his life. One he cannot legally marry.

He doesn't get to have a story. At least not yet. And that is so totally wrong.

Suzy said...

I agree -- totally wrong.

Our wedding day had record-breaking heat for June. And in a Frank Lloyd Wright designed church that couldn't be air-conditioned. A lot of people left early because of it, we ran out of bottled water, and food went to waste ...

But we still had Gumby! And each other ...

lisahgolden said...

I love that wedding photo! Happy anniversary to you both!

Mark said...

Happy anniversary you guys....