Monday, June 08, 2009

Why I Teach

I am coming to the end of my 23rd year as a public school teacher. 22 of those years have been in the same school district. I've had my highs and my lows during that time. I even considered resigning at one point about 10 years ago, because it felt like I had no reserves left. My well was dry.

Yesterday I had one of those experiences that teachers live for, the kind that you usually only get when you've been teaching for a while. I responded to a friend request on Facebook -- a high school teacher in my district. And in looking at her profile page I saw a comment from a former first grade student of mine whom I had lost track of over the years. I wrote a "Hello, do you remember me?" comment and received the sweetest message in return, telling me how influential I had been to her. In fact, she is just finishing up her first year as a 5th grade teacher!

I go along day in and day out, year in and year out. Some days I am joyful, other days I am grumpy. But I absolutely must never stop remembering that what I do -- sometimes the smallest, most commonplace, and seemingly insignificant thing I do -- can make a difference to a kid.

That is why I teach.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have more influence than you will ever realize. I remember all my good teachers with fondness.

Suzy said...

You made me tear up!

lisahgolden said...

This brought tears to my eyes. I loved most of my teachers when I was a kid. They really pushed me. I am forever grateful for that.

I'm glad you had a chance to see first hand what you've accomplished through one person.

Unknown said...

That's it! Teachers teach for the kids.