Thursday, July 30, 2009

Steve Earle Show

Steve Earle was outstanding! Lots of good stories, lots of political sermonizing, songs by Townes mixed with old and new favorites by Steve. Besides being a crackerjack (don't you like that word - "crackerjack"?) songwriter and musician, as well as a most engaging performer, there is so much that he gets right --
  • nonviolence
  • labor unions
  • immigration
  • human rights
  • energy (you don't burn food -- i.e. corn -- for fuel when there are people going hungry and there's no such thing as "clean coal")
  • rich vs. poor
-- and he considers it his responsibility to speak out. During the 8 years of Bush/Cheney, I went to concerts sometimes looking for a word of hope, inspiration, or galvanization. I was usually disappointed by artists who chose to play it safe -- even Arlo Guthrie, for goodness' sake, didn't utter a peep about the Iraq war! Steve is one of a handful of performers makes it his stock and trade, and he does it so well.

High points of the evening? Pancho & Lefty, Good-bye, Jerusalem, Lungs, City of Immigrants … During the encore he announced that he became a first-time grandpa a few days ago and played Little Rock & Roller. (If my kids had been there, they would have checked at that point to see if I was crying. I plead the 5th.)

It was a most satisfying show, and we were in good company with friends Alice and Rob. Here is a list of tour dates, if you're inclined to try to see it. I'd recommend it.

5 comments:

Professor Chaos said...

Steve Earle is a National treasure. Thank God he got clean! Jerusalem is one of my favorite albums of all time. Do you know if he still has his radio show? There's no longer an Air America station out here in Atlanta

Anonymous said...

I lurve Steve Earle.

Suzy said...

He is on Sirius radio; check his website for the time.

He IS a national treasure.

tweetey30 said...

I have no idea who this is but we saw Richie Havens a month ago now. It was awsome to see him live and he played one of my favorite songs before we left..

QuakerDave said...

Well, he'll be right down the street tomorrow night, but I'll be in central jersey at a UNION conference learning how to rabble-rouse. I'll be sure to crank him up on my trusty iPod before I go to bed Saturday night...