Tonight we are off to Milwaukee (only around these parts we say "M'waukee") for an evening with Steve Earle, performing the songs of his friend, the late, great Townes Van Zandt, in a solo acoustic show. If you aren't familiar with Van Zandt, he was simply one of the finest singer-songwriters around, whose songs have been covered by just about every self-respecting, country-folk musician. In general I prefer to hear Townes sing his own songs, but since he's not here to do it I'll take Steve Earle.
Here is a sample of what he'll be playing tonight:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
I am beyond envious.
Sorry -- didn't mean to rub anyone's nose in it. The people we're going with have seats in the second row, so I guess there's all kinds of levels of envy. :-)
Try not to have too much fun! Oh, nevermind. Go ahead and rock your socks off! Just don't tell Ed I said that.
I am SOOOO jealous!
Hey! I'll be there, too!! Stand up and yell "threadingwater" and I'll wave.
Suzy: A few weeks ago you asked me about documentaries I'd seen. One that I particularly liked was "Be Here to Love Me," about Townes Van Zandt. Of course Steve Earle talks about Townes. I agree that nobody sings his songs like he does....
M
I saw that one when it came out; it was at the WI Film Festival. What a character, and what a tragedy his death was. I think his death literally had a sobering effect on Earle, among others. That scene where he's outside his shack shooting the rifle was awfully funny.
The last time Townes played in Madison, he could barely stand on the stage or remember the lyrics to his songs.
Post a Comment