Saturday, September 19, 2009

Looking forward to …

  • seeing Brandi Carlile in concert this Monday. Gratitude to David for introducing me to her music!
  • going to hear author/local food advocate Michael Pollan speak on Thursday. (No, he's not local; he passionately advocates for the buying and eating of locally grown food.) He is also speaking at a $200/plate fundraiser for my daughter's middle school, which is just so cool.
  • going to hear author/poet/farmer Wendell Berry speak on October 11. (He is the author of one of my favorite novels ever, Hannah Coulter.)

7 comments:

lisahgolden said...

That's a lot of cool stuff to look forward to. I'm sliding Doug a note right now..."I think our next move must be to Wisconsin. Madison, to be exact. I promise I won't whine too much about the cold. Okay, that's a lie, but the cool stuff will outweigh the whining. Right?"

Any improvements on the campaign to come live by you, Suzy, would be most appreciated.

Suzy said...

We're working on a little brochure to send you …

chiativity said...

OMG, this looks wonderful!! http://www.madisonpubliclibrary.org/new/index.php/2009/09/09/botany-of-desire-to-premiere-at-central-library/ Will you be able to go??

poodledok said...

I am wondering what food will be served for $200 a plate? Glad it's a fund raiser but couldn't help wondering.

Suzy said...

Oscar Meyer hotdogs (they're local, right?) Yes, $200/plate dinners are a little out of my fathomable realm. I wonder if it will be like the free food Chef Tori prepared for the Sherman garden celebration a few weeks ago, only more so. Hey, you Quaker men who cook … maybe you're not charging enough!!

doyle said...

Wendell Berry is my hero.

If you get a chance to say hello, plese let him know a few of us are reading and learning and growing food and brewing and sewing and walking and taking care of the home economy as well as we can.

He's the closest thing to a living prophet I know.

Suzy said...

If only I could get close enough to talk to him. I believe it is a sold-out (can it be "sold out" if the tickets are free?) lecture.

Of course, Michael Pollan was here over the weekend, and he happened to sit at the next table over from a friend of mine in a local restaurant. So you never know.