
This paragraph nicely encapsulates what initially brought me to The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). It highlights a unique process for coming to decisions, as well as Quaker peace testimony. From the book Friends For 350 Years by Howard Brinton:
If nonviolent methods, based on goodwill and an appeal to the inner sense of rightness in every man, are frequently successful in dealing with abnormal persons, they are more frequently successful in dealing with normal persons. No pacifist claims that his method is always successful. Every method fails sometimes, including the method based on violence. If two persons or two nations resort to fighting, one is bound to lose, so the method of fighting cannot at the most be more than 50 per cent successful. The nonviolent method may, however, operate in such a way that both sides win. Together they may arrive at a decision which is better than that which either one of the parties desired in the first place.
Many thinking, liberal people tend to dismiss pacifism out of hand as some wild-eyed, pie-in- the-sky notion. Some will condemn the current war (whatever war it happens to be) but insist that war in general is a necessary evil or part of the human condition.
I have to ask, when has war ever worked? WWI -- the war to end all wars? Nope. WWII, sometimes referred to as "the GOOD war"? Debatable. We were mucking about in Korea just a few years later. Vietnam? Oh, I forgot -- that wasn't a war, but it sure didn't do anybody any good. Has violence led to any kind of peace between a divided Korea, Israel and Palestine? Fast forward to the present, set Iraq aside for a moment, and let's just take a look at Afghanistan -- an intervention that many thinking, liberal people defended shortly after 9/11/01. Did it solve any problems? And Iraq? More American people are speaking out against it, but is that because they've had an awakening about the futility of war, or they believe "we" are "losing" this one? Is anybody better off because of war?
Well a small few, perhaps -- the members of the Carlisle Group, executives at Halliburton, Bechtel, Blackwater -- those who profit from the business of war. And that is what going to war is ultimately all about -- profiteering.
But why is it so difficult to convince the common people -- those who suffer, rather than profit from war -- that there is nothing unrealistic about finding nonviolent solutions. No more unrealistic than to think that fighting will lead to peace. (In the words of a 3-year old I know, "How silly is that?")
And one cannot simultaneously look for nonviolent solutions and continue to escalate the fight. (In other words, NO SURGE.)
Peaceful solutions aren't quick or easy. The official diplomatic solution, arrived at in a summit with heads of state may not produce a solution. Sometimes it has to be individuals like me or you who take the first steps toward peace, and we may not see the fruits for a long time. The alternative is a perpetual state of war, and we the people, our children, the planet ... cannot sustain or afford that anymore (as if we ever could.)





10 comments:
Amen, sister. Excellent post.
It is so hard. So so hard. Lately I have been trying to keep things as local as possible -- and I stretch the word "local" to include the blogosphere.... Ahem. Yes, well....
I agree with you so much about the profiteers. And now that I'm studying the American Revolution, I see that nothing is new. It's disgusting.
Anyway, in my 20's I had my eye on the international scene. I used to shout furiously during anti-war demonstrations. "WHAT DO WE WANT?" "PEACE!!!!" "WHEN DO WE WANT IT?" God, I was so angry then!
Now at the age of 47, I no longer follow international politics. I try to stay really local. It is all I can do to be peaceful with fellow drivers and with my neighbors ..... who really pissed me off badly a few months ago, and I have not spoken to them since.
Well, there's my point. Until I can really bless every driver on the expressway, forgive my mean neighbors, embrace the Harley Davidson riders who roar around the hills here, then "world peace" is really just as empty an expression as "push the envelope."
When I find that inner peace, I will join the next "peaceful" anti-war demonstration.
Here, do you want to use the soapbox now?
Yeah, I know. I find myself mouthing obscenities at other drivers, and have to stop and say, "Wait a minute ..."
I went to a bunch of rallies in 2003, when we thought it might actually stop the juggernaut. The last one I went to was a year ago, when the 2000th US soldier died.
Rallying didn't feel right to me. Even when I go again, it will be as a witness to peace, not to shout rhyming slogans.
I AM angry, but it's different, it has a different direction and cure.
Does that make sense?
Anyway, I do keep informed on the international scene, but I also try to make peace locally. I have been specifically trying to practice kindness.
Last year I bought a bracelet from an incredibly overpriced women's spirituality catalog [she said sheepishly with a red face] but I wear it all the time to remind myself of how I want to live my life. It says, "Live to love, love to live."
Must go. Tari is on her way over to visit!
Oh my! Please take a bucket of bright confetti and pour it on her head and hug and kiss her for me.
So glad to meet you and I've read some of your other blogs. I can really relate. I am not a church going person but do have a spiritual life and I love the Quaker concept. In AA we often have long periods of silence while members are trying to figure how to share...and I'm pretty sure they do that as Quakers too. It's very refreshing and it's amazing how difficult it is for so many people to just "be" and not say a word.
I will definitely keep up with you and so glad that Caroline sent you my way. I love her blog.
Well said, and well done.
It's about time you started one of these things! BTW, I recommend that whole blogger beta set-up: it's really much easier than the old way of running things.
absolutely nuthin'
Nice post you got there, but have you played your guitar today? Have you kissed your husband today? Or have you grumped at him for trying to communicate with you while you were working on that blug?
By the way, the modern Billy Goat Gruff doesn't trip-trap-trip anymore. The 21st century Billy Goat
Gruff tippity-tappity-tips across the bridge.
The 21st Century Billy Goat Gruff is able to trip trap across the bridge to graze the sweet grass on the other side of the valley, but the Homeland Security troll demands that s/he show a valid passport in order to return.
Ginnie, I love sitting in silence. Other church services seem way too frantic and noisy to me now.
Post a Comment