Thursday, August 30, 2007

Back to School, part 2

My brain is fried (about as fried as the motor on our fancy-schmancy German vacuum cleaner, because someone - - umm, that would be me -- left the car windows open in a rainstorm, and then someone -- um, me again -- accidentally vacuumed up a bunch of water while cleaning the car -- which I do once a decade, whether it needs it or not. So while I was frying my brain at library school orientation, Mr. Ether had to take the vacuum to the lonesome Hoover fixer sucker guy. I hope it's not permanently fried.)

Impressions of graduate school in Library Science?

Almost all the students were significantly younger than me. I was one of just a few who actually has a full time profession that involves going to a job every day.

We were encouraged to sign up for student organizations and GET INVOLVED in student life, make friends, etc. It all sounded kind of appealing to me until I realized that I have lots of friends already whom I hardly have time to see more than once or twice a year, even though we live in the same town. I have a spouse, children, colleagues, a faith community ... In short, I don't need to get involved in student organizations. I need a Master's Degree.

I am tempted to volunteer for a program where you go into jails and help incarcerated moms record storybooks on tape, that are then sent to their children. That's a pretty cool project.

But overall, it seemed like a pretty tight knit community up there, and the grown-ups were all very friendly and helpful. I believe I'm on the right path, and that's a good thing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Almost all the students were significantly younger than me. I was one of just a few who actually has a full time profession that involves going to a job every day.

Yup. I can relate. My last four semesters at Rowan University? I was older than half my professors.

Sminthia said...

Me too.

When I started my doctoral program at 31, the other students (before meeting me) found out that I had taken time after graduating from college to do other things. They had guessed that I was older, maybe even as old as 26!

Once they got over the shock, and as we took classes and prelims together, I think they thought of me as a peer.

The biggest difference to me was that I went home every evening to have dinner with my hubby. They either slaved away in the lab or went out partying.

Suzy said...

One of the student group organizers, in soliciting new members, was promoting the fall Pub Crawl. Certainly not my cup of tea. Actually, a cup of tea is about my cup of tea!

Sorghum Crow said...

As long as you don't join the Not-so-young Republicans....

Suzy said...

Ha! I tried being a Republican last year, thinking if you can't beat 'em, join 'em -- but it didn't stick.