Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Birthday Cake: A Love Story

Today is my birthday (48) and half my family is doing the college freshman orientation thing in a different state, so it's just me and my younger daughter. She's excited about making the day special, but of course she's still sleeping ... I'm the only morning person in my house.

I always say I don't like birthdays, but I actually do. If my family ever really took me at my word -- "I don't want anything" -- I'd be hurt. So the absent family members gave me gifts before they left. My eldest went to a Renaissance Fair and brought back a hand-blown glass goblet; I admire these things every year, but I never buy any. So that was very sweet of her and I love it. And Mr. Ether gave me a little tiny German-made metronome. I've been learning to play the guitar for a few years now, but I am very shy about it. Mr. Ether (a professional musician himself) has been unfailing in his support of my efforts -- a gift in and of itself.

I'm looking forward to the cheesecake my younger daughter is making. I started to write that no one has made me a cake in my adulthood, but that's not true. When I turned 25 I decided to throw a party at a park shelter. I had my heart set on a European-style torte with fruit and marzipan from a German bakery, and I asked my mom if she would pick it up the day before the party. Alas, she did not, and the bakery was closed on party day.

My mom decided to make me a cake; she made a mean pineapple upside-down cake. But two of my mom's idiosyncrasies were never doing things in a timely way and doing everything on a large scale. So she showed up at the park about an hour late with an enormous pineapple upside-down cake in the back of the station wagon. It had just come out of the oven and -- I'm not exaggerating -- it was about the circumference of a garbage can lid.

She was embarrassed about not getting the cake I wanted and being late, so she was in a bad temper. She inverted the cake onto a big board the way you're supposed to with a pineapple upside-down cake ... and raw cake batter ran out all over the back of her car. The cake was so huge and she hadn't baked it long enough. It was entirely raw in the middle!

I was mortified and furious -- selfish little so and so that I was. I still feel guilty about my attitude. It took me many years to see that she made me that cake because she loved me. And I was so ungracious.

My mom died 6 years ago. When we were cleaning her house, one of the things I kept was her favorite cookbook, The Settlement Cookbook. The book opens up every time right to the pineapple upside-down cake recipe, which is stained and tattered. And I say a little "thank you, Mommy, I love you" every time I see it.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday young lady.

Janet said...

Happy Birthday!! My husband always wants pineapple upside cake for his birthday! I use my mom's recipe (I hate to cook but love to bake!) I enjoyed your story about your mom's huge cake. It sounds like something I might have done. I've definitely made some disasters in the kitchen!

Jess Wundrun said...

Happy Birthday! Thanks for the gift of the great story. You weren't a selfish so and so you were normal.

(What did your mom use for a pan?)

Suzy said...

My mom had a collection of enormous pans; some of them must have come from restaurant supply stores. We were in Korea when I was that oh so tender age of 14 going on 15, and she bought a huge tea kettle in a market place. She proceeded to use it as a suitcase for the remainder of the trip. I did my best to pretend I was not with her, but back in 1974 blonde Caucasians were pretty rare in Korea, so we stood out like sore thumbs.

I'm sure I NEVER embarrass my children.

pygalgia said...

Hippo birdie two ewes. I've got a cake for you at my place.

Sorghum Crow said...

I am glad to hear that you never embarrass your children. That is so considerate of you.

Happy Birthday, and thanks for the sentimental schlock story.

(and if you want to eat more locally, peach upside down cake is very good. I'm thinking you're more likely to get peaches rather than pineapples in Wisconsin, USA.)

Ed said...

Finally, I've found a place in this city where I can connect to my internets! It wasn't easy! Anyway, Happy Birthday! I'm sorry I can't be with you to celebrate.

Love,
Ed

QuakerDave said...

Hippo, birdies, two ewes. With much Friendly love.

Hope you have an amazing day.

Suzy said...

Sorghum Crow -- We're a little too far north for local peaches -- give global warming a few more years, and it will be "Goodbye America's Dairyland, Hello Peachtree State." Maybe plums ...

Suzy said...

Dear Ed,

It's weird having a birthday w/o you here. Grace made dee-licious leetle cheesecakes, 18 of them. We'll save you one.

Love you.

Suzy said...

QD -- Thank you dear. I'm off to the farmers' market I wrote about, then to anew Russian restaurant. Yum.

Fran / Blue Gal said...

Love you and I aspire to have your joy and clarity. Thanks for sharing yourself with us. You are a dear inspiration Suzy. Thank you and have a day as lovely as you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzy,

Happy Birthday! Or as we say in Spanish, "apio verde" (translation: green celery) I may call you later and sing to you, if I"m not feeling too shy!

I remember your mom's pineapple upside down cake, but I can't remember if I was really there, or if your storytelling ability made me feel as though I were there...

Best Wishes,

Beth

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Suzy. I love the part of your story where the cookbook opens to the cake recipe.

It made me think of the smell of White Shoulders. Whenever I smell it, I think of my grandma.

It's these little reminders of people that make memory so special and so powerful.

Many happy returns.

Fran said...

What a great story- brilliant. Thank you and best birthday wishes to you!

Ghost Dansing said...

Happy Birthday Suzy.... I enjoyed the story as well.

Jan said...

Happy Birthday, Suzy! I liked hearing about your presents and cheesecake, as well as the fiasco cake of your 25th birthday. We have a picture of my daughter MJ looking at her cake on the floor for her 12th birthday--she had requested a cream cake, and the top layer slid off the cake! When I turned 20, my parents took my future husband and me to dinner where a trio came and played the violin and sang "Happy Birthday" to me--I was so angry and embarrassed!

I know your mother hears you when you thank her each time you look at the pineapple upside down cake recipe. All time is in God.

Suzy said...

You know, all of you ... to some -- the uninitiated -- blogging may seem impersonal. But I love the contacts I've made, and I cherish all of these birthday messages. Thanks.

And to Anonymous Beth ... I am touched that you sang to me. Guitar in the classroom soon, and when can we get together?