The vet called me at 8 a.m. to tell me that Georgia had died early this morning. As I write this it is snowing outside, appropriate weather to accompany Georgia on her next journey. She loved snow more than any other dog I've known.
With pets it is so hard to know when to let them go. For the last year and a half, Georgia had chronic corneal ulcers that wouldn't heal, diabetes, diabetes-related blindness, and (we think) Cushing's disease. After treating our previous corgi for lymphoma, I was determined that quality of life would be the bottom line for decisions we made about Georgia. And though her energy was diminished, Georgia remained sweet-tempered and seemingly in good spirits through this past Tuesday when she became ill with a G.I. bug.We hoped that getting IV fluids would put her back on her stocky little feet again, but it became clear pretty quickly that it was time. I went to bed last night thinking that we'd have her euthanized today.
We went to see her at the vet's yesterday, and though she was so sick, she roused herself and came out to see my younger daughter. Georgia and Grace were pups together; we got Georgia when Grace was one. The vet told me that she thought Georgia relaxed after we had been there, so I hope we eased her passage.
Camping at Rock Island next summer will not be the same without her.
Georgia was like a canine Buddha. I'm going to miss her a lot. I'm going to miss that corgi energy in my life.Happy trails, sweet Georgia!





12 comments:
My sympathy for your loss.
I am so sorry.
So sorry to hear this. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
She's running free now and she's not in anymore pain. Sorry for your loss.
Goodbye, Georgia!
Bon voyage Georgia.. Would that all were as well-loved as you!
Thanks, everyone.
So sorry, Suzy.
Suzy, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I just lost my little Braco Lee in November, and it's so difficult letting go. Braco was diagnosed with Cushing's last year, and had many of the same challenges Georgia faced. I never realized how much I depended on Braco until she was gone. For 11 years she was my alarm clock! She woke up every day around 7 am and would wake me up to feed her. I don't think I've made it to work on time since she's been gone.
Please know you are in my thoughts.
BAC
BAC, I remember when your little dog died. It's hard; I am reminded of her so many times a day. My daughter is vacuuming right now and remembering how you couldn't vacuum with Georgia around because she'd attack the vacuum cleaner!
Everyone, many thanks for all of your good wishes!
Suzy- I have been away so just leaving this note now.
I am so sorry for your loss.
It really strikes me that when you write about loss, which I have now seen you do more than once, you do so with a particular eloquence and grace. It is very moving and I am honored to be able to take this in and send you back my thoughts and prayers.
Peace to you and your family- healing, consolation and peace.
suzy
i am so sorry
georgia was so lucky to have a family like yours
amazing how much joy these little furry thing bring
Post a Comment