Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Is voter suppression now the norm?

I just read this article at Alternet about tactics that the Clinton campaign is allegedly using to block Obama supporters from voting. If this is true, it is disgusting and clinches it for me: I will not vote for Hillary Clinton.

The headlines say the latest schism among the top Democratic presidential candidates is over gender and race. But on the ground in the presidential season's opening states, there is a darker narrative: that Hillary Clinton will not just fight hard, but fight dirty, to win. And her tactic of choice is attempting to suppress the votes of her rival's supporters.

The latest example is from Nevada, where the Nevada State Education Association is widely seen as filing a suit on Clinton's behalf to stop Las Vegas' most powerful union, Culinary Workers Local 226, from caucusing inside downtown casinos after the union endorsed Barack Obama. The tactic foments a split along racial and class lines in arguably the strongest union city in America.

"It's horrible," said one longtime Nevada activist, who didn't want his name used. "It will cause fights and damage that will last for years."

But the Clinton campaign has made similar moves in New Hampshire and Iowa.

We have had 2 stolen national elections and too many years of the dirtiest of politics. I won't pretend that anyone else is squeaky clean, but I think this shows her hunger for power and her contempt for the American people. Enough is enough.

11 comments:

Jan said...

I agree with you--Enough is enough.

chiativity said...

Suzy, I have never liked Hillary, for exactly this reason. I'm so glad to know that you agree, because it makes me want to read your blog even more! Thank you for your thoughtful posts.

Anonymous said...

I'll never vote for Hillary even if she gets the nomination.

Jess Wundrun said...

If Hillary gets the nomination and Bloomberg decides to run it will be very interesting indeed.

I sure as hell ain't voting Hillary in the primaries but if I had to I would hold my nose and vote in the general election for her, no matter how bad she would not be as bad as any of the repubs in line.

What I won't do is canvass, man a call center, attend a rally or get out the vote campaign like I did for Kerry.

pygalgia said...

While I, too, oppose Clinton, I would suggest a bit of "wait and see" on this one. There's rumor and innuendo being spread to try to incite a fight between Clinton and Obama (phrase "widely seen" for example) with no evidence that this is true. Nevada's caucus system has been manipulated repeatedly in the past by the republicans, so they're my first suspect.

Suzy said...

Thanks, Pygalgia for being a voice of reason. You're right, the Repugs may well be stirring the pot.

pygalgia said...

Also looks like the suit is dead-filed too late.

Fran said...

Great post. It brings to mind a post that I wrote yesterday that started a firestorm.

I wrote it for a few reasons, not the least of which was another blogger insulting my beloved Jess Wundrun in the comments of one blog. The other reason was some very anti-Hillary vitriol.

Now I do not like Hillary at all. I am with Jess Wundrun on this one. If she is the nominee I can't see myself voting for her, but I must.
I am not not voting when so much is at stake.

And make no mistake- if she is the nominee the Repubs will close ranks and get every voter out often and early to beat her. And let's not kid ourselves, the nominee for the Repubs will be bad no matter who it is.

Which brings me back to this post... I think the Clintons are as calculating as they come, but make no mistake that it is in the interest of those on the far right to make them appear even worse.

I see a lot of splintering in our own leftist world, over her and her tactics and that concerns me.

Let her be evil- but I will not play into it by getting into the polarizing and angry words and actions if I can help it.

We must find a way to try to lead this country back to change. It will be slow and it must be collaborative in some fashion.

At least IMHO.

Thanks for a thought provoking post and for such great comments from everyone! This is why we blog.

QuakerDave said...

""It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes" - Joseph Stalin.

So, tell me, folks who call themselves progressives. Just for the sake of argument:

Suppose Sen. Clinton IS the Dimocratic nominee. And her opponent is the geographically-impaired theocrat Mike Huckleberry, Mr. 9-11 Rudolph Ghouliani, Mitt Helmethair, John the Warmonger, or Fred Flintstone, for whom WILL you vote? Do you want anyone from the GOP making foreign policy? Appointing at least two justices to the Supremes, denying global climate change for four more years, etc.?

Will you really stay home?

Just askin'...

Suzy said...

Nah, I won't stay home and I will probably hold my nose and vote for Hillary Clinton as Jess said, and at least the economy will improve as it does under Dimocratic leadership.

The other thing that I'm thinking is that I'm willing to bet that Hillary WILL count the votes.

But I won't be HAPPY about it. And I still think this is a rotten deal, if it's true.

Fran said...

What Suzy says!!