I just got home from my graduate course: Information Architecture. Information Architecture, you ask? What is that? Well, it's basically writing the code for building the underlying structure of large web sites. I had my first class last week, and left feeling seriously nervous after the professor said, "This is an 800 level graduate course, and I expect you to get into the lab and know how to blah blah blah ..."
Tonight we met in the lab, and there I was surrounded by young, computer savvy pups. The professor talked us through writing XHTML mark-up to put up a simple web page, and you know what? I got it! I had to ask the young woman next to me for help a few times but she had to ask me for help too. It was such a good feeling.
There are 3 of us women in the class, all about the same age, who are at the same level of inexpertise on the computer. We had a good laugh together last week when the computer geek professor shared that he has a new baby, his first. Now there's a steep learning curve! He shared that he expected to be back to normal in a month or so. Ha! I'll have XHTML down in a month. If anything, he'll be more sleep deprived!
I can't believe how excited I am about this course. I was doing the reading assignments for this week, and it made sense. I realized that being a knitter really comes in handy, because I'm so used to reading knitting patterns. Mark up is not much different. I follow a series of stitches and - voila! - beautiful lace socks. I use a series of letters and symbols and - voila! - a web site. I feel so capable.
I did have a bone to pick with the authors of one of my books. They were talking about information architects, and what professions naturally do that kind of chunking of information with usability and accessibility in mind (not necessarily on computers, but just in general) -- and they totally overlooked teachers!!!! I had to rant at Mr. Ether for a good 15 minutes about that. I mean, what do teachers do, if not organize information into chunks to make it accessible to users -- i.e. students? And the younger your students, the more you do it! Oy vey ... being in a profession which is so discounted in general (and probably more often by MIT graduates) is my cross to bear!
Stay tuned for the ongoing transformation of Luminiferous Ether into a computer geek (one who wears beautiful lace socks.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
I have a hard time putting up links like in the comments sections on a blog.. I am not so sure I could handle taking a course that sounds so confusing as this one..
That certainly sounds confusing (and impressive) to me! Glad you have some comradery and are understanding! What websites you will be creating--or so I assume!
Information Architecture. At first I though you were referring to different library bookshelf designs. But wow! XHTML! That sounds like the plane that broke the sound barrier. Or was that the X-15. Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying the class and I know you have lots to teach those young pups!
Hold on, I'm driving over with a bravery badge. I would have been so intimidated. But I like your analogy to knitting. I'm so proud of you, Suzy.
Post a Comment