Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Why I Teach

This is a scan of a letter I was given today, from a first grader in the classroom next to mine. She spends a bit of time "helping" in my room. There are a lot of things about teaching that are damned hard: it requires a tremendous amount of energy, you're "on" all the time, there are unrealistic expectations of these kids, it's a thankless profession, etc. etc. ... and then a child gives me one of these. This is why I teach, this is why I will continue to teach as long as I can.
Notice how the children are falling over backwards in astonishment at my achingly accurate recitation of the ABCs. The critics are raving!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I don't get love letters like that from the banking institution where I work!

I absolutely love the drawing. What a clever way to show people lying on the floor. I like the poetic repetition of the text, and then the miniature text on the tiny page.

Cinderbelle said...

I love reading these letters, mom. They're so cute!

Ed said...

Those disembodied, faceless heads are creeping me out. That kid needs help. Or is that what your classroom is really like?

Anonymous said...

That is just too damn sweet. Hang on, maybe that kid is sucking up to you to throw you off balance later! Keep an eye on that brat, they can turn in a second.

Fran said...

You have no idea how much I needed to see this.

That is brilliant.

What a noble path you trod dear Suzy! Yay for you and yay for the children who perceive the gifts you bestow, with wonder and love.

Sorghum Crow said...

Awww. As for teaching being a thankless profession. THANK YOU! to you and all your kith.

QuakerDave said...

We likes you, too.

Yup. This is the stuff that makes it all worthwhile.

Suzy said...

Thanks, friends.

The highpoint of my day today [sarcasm alert] was when 3 boys decided that it was a good idea to finger paint the walls of the boys' bathroom. Never a dull moment.

Jess Wundrun said...

Are they falling over or did you kick them?

Just wondering.

Congratulations on your esteemed award. It seems like it is the very best kind. (Except for maybe, a raise)

Suzy said...

Warning: This teacher kicks and decapitates.