Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Windchill -26˚ ...

... and that means NO SCHOOL!

As usual, I was out the door and on my way to work when I found out. My district is so stingy with calling school off for the weather, that I don't even bother to check anymore. There have been too many instances where literally every other school district in the area has canceled, and we still have to go.

Wisconsin weather is weird. Yesterday we had a high in the mid-forties. When school got out at 2:32 (yes, 2:32, we cover a lot of ground in that extra 2 minutes a day!) it was raining. Half an hour later we were experiencing a shower of Dippin' Dots™ (an absurd and overpriced frozen confection that young children pester their parents to buy at carnivals) and the temperature had dropped almost 50˚!

I can't end this post without talking about that day in early February, almost 12 years ago, when my youngest child was born: the real temperature (not the windchill) was -27˚ and I made Mr. Ether and my friend Fay take me outside for a pre-dawn walk during labor, twice. And they still love me.

9 comments:

tweetey30 said...

It went from being cloudy to raining and thundering and lightening to snowing within minutes here by our house yesterday. It was funny because I called Jeff up and asked him where he was. I wanted to know if he was in town or on his run for work.. He was here in town and nothing happened over by him until it started to snow..

Ed said...

Plagiarist!

Suzy said...

But Ed, I PROMISE that I had not seen your blog post when I wrote this ... I think that YOU invaded my thought waves and STOLE MY metaphors before I had a chance to write them down!

Ed said...

My attorney will be contacting you about a settlement. I am not at liberty to discuss it further.

Anonymous said...

Boy you two love you some Dippin' Dots.

Suzy said...

We're a Dippin' Dot™ kind of couple.

pygalgia said...

And I thought our local -5 was cold.

poodledoc said...

In my day, they didn't have "wind chill". What a bunch of sissy's! I had to walk ten miles EACH WAY to school. Barefoot. I remember the old potbelly stove glowing almost red on some of those cold days. Wind chill. Bah. I did notice on the disctrict web site how they changed their windchill policy from last year, after they ignored what they wrote and got lots of complaints from parents. Now it's written in vague language that only a school administrator would enjoy. However, Poodledoc, Jr was overjoyed. And a lot of teachers, too.!

Oh, and just a thought: since Mr Ether did that cold weather labor walk with you, you should be come a Packer fan. Whaddya say?

Suzy said...

Me, a Packer fan??? I have only this to say: If I were, by some miracle (a lightning strike?) become a football fan, I would probably cheer on the Packers. They are, after all (as Mr. Ether is so fond of saying) the only Socialist team in the league!