(Cross-posted at Winter Reading Challenge, just in case you were wondering.)How well do you know your Greek mythology? It wouldn't hurt to take a brief refresher course before reading this novel ... or not. I found myself consulting with my 12 year old daughter a lot, who for some reason is well versed in all of the gods and goddesses, in their Greek and Roman guises. Even if you're not as knowledgeable as Sparkly Sea Cow, this book was definitely a fun read.
The premise is this: A bunch of the Greek gods are living in a dilapidated house in modern day London, where they had retreated back a few centuries when Christ came on the scene. Over the years as their power and fortunes waned, they were forced to take jobs and were slowly becoming caricatures of their former selves. A lovers' quarrel between Apollo and Aphrodite results in a momentous battle of wills that eventually pulls everyone in.
Into this scene comes a mortal house cleaner, Alice, and her sort of boyfriend, Neil. Alice spurns the advances of the lecherous Apollo with disastrous consequences, and Neil is called upon to be an epic hero. I won't give any more away.
I think I read about this book at the Powells' website. It sounded amusing, so I tracked it down at the library. This is Marie Phillips' first book, so I was prepared to be disappointed (again; it seems that Terry Pratchett has spoiled me for nearly all other fiction) but I thoroughly enjoyed every page! If you're looking for something funny and a little bit different, you might enjoy it too.





3 comments:
I'm admiring the photos of the mittens you'd made, and now the reading you're getting into.
What e wonderful way to spend a winter!
Sounds good. I like stuff like this. But I have a hard time finding it here for some reason.
Hi Suzy
I'm so behind in your blog. I have not been home much lately, woo woo. This is a wonderful review. I've been looking around for a piece of fiction; I'm quite fond of mythology of any sort. I will definitely take this out of the library.
Post a Comment