Drawing from his extensive knowledge of Abenaki culture and history, Joseph Bruchac has constructed a very compelling story. Set in the time period following the last glaciation, but before widespread European migration, Dawn Land is the story of Young Hunter, one of the sons of the Only People (presumably the Abenaki, one of the First Nations of New England) who is chosen to go out into the world to confront an ancient enemy that threatens his people. With knowledge that has been conferred upon him by two “deep seers” and only his three dogs as companions, Young Hunter ventures further afield than almost any of the Only People have gone. There he meets strange animals and humans of other nations.
Dawn Land was reminiscent of Lord of the Rings, probably because both Tolkien and Bruchac built on the classic structure of tales of the hero’s quest. There was a hero, a task at hand, helpers, and a Golum-like character whom you both fear and pity. But it was also very down-to-earth in the portrayal of everyday life. (People actually have bodily functions in this book, but it is not embarrassing - no throbbing members anywhere!)
Bruchac did an excellent job of writing about a potentially very alien world (to a reader like me) and making it seem accessible and beautiful. In his introduction to the story, he addresses possible criticism that he makes this hunter-gatherer society seem too idyllic, by citing both historical and cultural evidence, and the practices of modern indigenous cultures, to defend his thesis. At any rate, in addition to simply enjoying the story, I was very much moved by the ethic that was espoused in Dawn Land. I recommend it as a good read.
(cross-posted at Winter Reading Challenge)
Sunday, February 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
Sounds interesting. I havent checked the winter reading challenge lately. I am still reading and having a hard time keeping up with reviews.
I hear you, Tweetey. I try not to feel guilty about it.
Post a Comment