Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Is this what I get for imagining retirement this morning?

click on image to embiggen it

This came in the mail today -- an invitation to join the AARP. Only $15 for the privilege to join! I'm 5 months shy of turning 50. I'll be lucky if I can retire when I'm 65 (but by the same token, I feel very fortunate to have a job that I love right now, and will be honored to keep at it for a few years more -- with a strong union and a decent contract. of course.)

If I'm being solicited by the AARP, can my subscription to Modern Maturity be far behind?

5 comments:

Sminthia said...

I'm 9 months shy.

I can wait. (Please)

Fran said...

I've been in for well over a year. We did it for the discounts, which so far have worked for us.

*sigh*

Suzy said...

Yeah, the discounts are kind of compelling ... I'll probably do it too. And truthfully, I am trying to embrace aging, while remaining "young at heart." (Does that explain Facebook and the tattoo? Hmmmm.)

Sorghum Crow said...

Suzy, Suzy, Suzy, it's no longer Modern Maturity. I think it's AARP Magazine or somesuch. The name change gives me the imprimatur to be as immature as I want. So there. As for retiring, I'll have to work 10 years past my death to be able to afford to retire.
I joined, but can't afford to do anything that might have an AARP discount.

chiativity said...

Yes, it comes as a shock! But I've been a member for 10 years now and don't regret a moment of it. It's where the boomers are hanging out. It's and activist, mostly progressive group, you get discounts and a pretty good magazine.

Yes, it means that you are getting older. But consider the alternative!