Sunday, April 05, 2009

Memorium

When I said "a world full of tragic news" I was thinking globally/nationally. I just found out that my former principal took his life yesterday. I am sick at heart. I worked with him for only one year but he restored my faith in teaching, in leadership, after a few years at the hands of an insane and vindictive principal. He resigned after just one year, saying that he couldn't be the kind of educator he wanted to be in the top-down, mandates-driven climate of our school district. I know that many people were angry at him for that. I was sad when he resigned, but I understood. When I talked to him privately later he told me he knew that I, more than anyone else, would get it.

I do not believe that there is ever a situation in which taking one's life is a solution. My heart goes out to him, for the pain he must have been in, as well as to his wife and children. Dan, I hope you have found peace.

8 comments:

Ed said...

That's very sad news. He always struck me as a good guy, too human to play the adversarial role expected of administrators in this district.

Dave Schipper said...

Wow... sorry for the family too.

tweetey30 said...

That is sad esp when they are the ones that help you in your most needed time.

lisahgolden said...

Oh no. This is so sad.

Suzy said...

I just came from the memorial service. It looked as if the entire teaching staff of his current school was there, having driven 2 hours to get there. He is so revered and loved. It's difficult to wrap my brain around the big question: why?

Anonymous said...

Hi Luminiferous,
I stopped by for a friendly hello and found this heart-wrenching post. Suicide causes unfathomable sadness and grief all around. There is so much that I feel and so little that I can say. I'm very sorry for your sadness.

Fran said...

I am very late to this - but I am so very sorry to hear of this.

Suzy said...

Hi, Crayons. I'm glad you're back.

Fran, thank you.

Suicide: not an option. It leaves too much pain in its wake.