Monday, June 01, 2009

Robber Barons

I almost can't post this because I find it so discouraging. But it's so important, it should be seen. This is from the incomparable investigative journalist Greg Palast, about the forced bankruptcy of GM.
Screw the autoworkers.
They may be crying about General Motors' bankruptcy today. But dumping 40,000 of the last 60,000 union jobs into a mass grave won't spoil Jamie Dimon's day.

Dimon is the CEO of JP Morgan Chase bank. While GM workers are losing their retirement health benefits, their jobs, their life savings; while shareholders are getting zilch and many creditors getting hosed, a few privileged GM lenders – led by Morgan and Citibank – expect to get back 100% of their loans to GM, a stunning $6 billion.

The way these banks are getting their $6 billion bonanza is stone cold illegal.

I smell a rat. (Read the rest ...)

I had few illusions about Barack Obama as president. I knew he wasn't progressive and had some tense moments with friends when I wouldn't just jump on the bandwagon. I hoped he would give me a respite from worry and fear, and it didn't take long to see how illusory that was as well. Steve Earle was right when he said that whoever got elected, the real work would begin on January 20, 2009. I feel so worn down after 8 years of BushCo, yet there is indeed work to be done.

This story stinks to high heaven.

6 comments:

lisahgolden said...

Ah, nuts. I guess this is why I've become so deflated about politics. I just feel helpless and useless and without any power to really do anything.

Molly Ivins was right along. Until we take money all the way out of politics and only have publicly funded elections, we'll never really have representation in the true sense of the word.

Suzy said...

I miss Molly Ivins all the time!!

tweetey30 said...

I am not very political at all.I just sit and watch others and hope that they best selected what I am not meant to do. I could never have put a good choice together with what we were left with this, this last election to be honest with you.

pygalgia said...

Agree with you re: Obama. He's much more a corporatist than a progressive. But (I love to tweak debates by the "but") compared to the alternatives, I'm OK with him. He is sharp, sensible, and relatively humane. Compared to shrub and McCain, I feel we're much safer with Obama. Our economy will still be dominated by the corporations, health care will still be controlled by profiteers, and we'll still be entangled in pointless wars, but perhaps we will see some progress, and at least these problems won't escalate as they would under a republican.
Sometimes hope comes in small doses.

Suzy said...

Pygalgia! Thanks for your comment. I sometimes forget about the alternatives... I frequently tell myself to "mind the gap", that is, the gap between the way things are and the way I want them to be. That's where my work is. And I do it. I am pleased with a number of things Obama has done, I know there is a lot of damage to undo as well.

Hey, how are you? It's been a while.

Unknown said...

The government never really has liked unions.