Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Delicious Synchronicity

I am rereading my favorite book by Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment, and was moved to copy down the following quote:
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."
Then, as I perused my favorite news sites this morning I found this pearl from "Joe" the "Plumber":
Asked if he has plans to run for public office, he replied, “I hope not. You know, I talked to God about that and he was like, ‘No.’”
Weird, huh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Joe the plumber is weird.

Ed said...

"Joe" the "Plumber" is an abomination unto Nuggan.

Great book. I recommend it to everyone who reads your blog, since all your readers are people of above-average intelligence.

Suzy said...

"Joe" the "Plumber" is a moron. And an attention seeker.

Dr. Monkey -- You would find a lot to like about this book.

Mark said...

"...he was like, 'no.'"

Jesus, seriously? There is something of the Hannah Arendt "Banality of Evil" around this guy.

But it's his manifest sub-literacy that concerns us here; can anyone really take this guy seriously? He seems like (for you Simpsons watchers) the Cletus the Slack-Jawed yokel of American politics....

Suzy said...

And sadly, too many people eat it up. "He's just like us!" Gack. Come to that, I had no idea that God was a Valley Girl. It explains a lot.

lisahgolden said...

I can tell you one truth with confidence - Joe the Plumber is a craven opportunist who is counting on the mouthbreathers to propel his celebrity. Good thing they're easily distracted and have moved on to the next shiny thing.