Monday, July 13, 2009

Hostile Takeovers of the Corporate Kind, a book review

I have been a fan of the more recent writing of Jon Katz, and I was curious to read some of his earlier writing. Sign Off: A Novel of Men and Work was published in 1991. It chronicles the hostile takeover of United States Broadcasting (USB), a fictitious television network, as seen through the eyes of Peter Herbert, the executive producer of a nationally syndicated morning news program. UBS is taken over by David Nab, a self proclaimed "condo king" who has made a fortune in real estate and wishes to have the prestige that goes with owning a television network. Herbert watches in horror as, in a few short months, Nab lays waste to the network news, as well as the careers, and indeed the lives of his longtime associates, always wondering when the ax will fall on him.

This was a really compelling read. As a lowly Midwestern schoolteacher who has never aspired to the kind of lifestyle that Katz describes, I experienced a kind of guilty pleasure in reading about these people. It was a little like reading a Kitty Kelly tell-all.

Beyond the story however, I think that Sign Off made some important points. If the slash-and -burn mentality that Katz describes is accurate -- and I have no reason to believe otherwise; he did a stint as executive producer of the CBS Morning News -- it speaks volumes to the miserable failure of the mainstream media to take on the corporate culture of American politics, which we saw flourish under the Bush Administration, and sadly continues under Obama.

The novel also underscores something that I have thought about a lot in the last couple of years, watching people I love -- mostly middle-aged men -- struggle with unemployment. I believe from the bottom of my heart that a covenant was broken with American workers, people who spent the better part of their adult lives working hard and paying into "the system" only to be discarded as if they were yesterday's garbage. If you haven't been there, let me tell you -- it shatters a person's sense of self like nothing else can and has enormous impact on family relationships as well.

Furthermore, I question whether when businesses say that they are "losing money" is it really a matter of having a smaller profit margin? I think, in many cases, yes, absolutely. When corporations "downsize" or "cut the fat" it is all about increasing the profits for the stockholders. Tell me, where in the Constitution does it say that stockholders have a right to make huge profits?

Reading Sign Off, I would almost say that Katz was prescient. What happened to television news has also happened in print media, and in fact has reached into almost every corner of our society. I suspect though, that he was just observing the beginning of the corporatization of the U.S. (and the world.) Michael Moore was certainly talking about it and Ralph Nader, of course.

It was also utterly fascinating to see the anatomy of a hostile takeover. It is a term I have heard plenty of times, but really only had the most superficial understanding of what it meant. It strikes me that, among the provisions of that most horrible No Child Left Behind legislation are the sanctions for "failing schools" that include "reconstituting" a school's staff. That's nothing more than a hostile takeover -- welcome to corporatized America. (Don't get me started on Obama and education. I can hardly write about it, I am so furious.)

Sign Off is a very well-written, illuminating, and entertaining book. After many years of writing memoir, Katz is once again returning to fiction. I am looking forward to it.

Recommended, but it might take some digging to find it. It's worth the search.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Whenever I read your work, I'm torn between following the content and marveling at the rhetoric. That's especially true when you use understatement to convey your point.

I'm not likely to read this book, but thanks for proofing it beforehand.

Jan said...

I always love your reviews. AND I was excited that you visited my blog and made comments. Whoopee!!

BTW, my 19 year old daughter finished "The Book Thief" today and is now giving it to her boy friend to read. Someday I want it back, so I can loan it to multiple friends.

lisahgolden said...

Okay, mayyyyybe I'll read sign off with plenty of wine or sedative involved because I know it's just going to totally bunge me up. Now I want to hear about the book you're currently reading! I still wonder why I didn't make money off of sex to help finance my college degree.

I mean, well, um, er..........

poodledok said...

ok, I'll get you started, what IS Obama doing with education? I thought he was going to "fix" it........but seriously, can you point me to a well written, researched, balanced article on this topic. I would really like to know. And thanks for your reviews. I wish more people could read them....

Distributorcap said...

i used to work at CBS and knew Jon - but not well - and he was writing from experience.

when Larry Tisch took over, it was all about money - the covenant of news as a cornerstone on society - NAH! -- money and money.


it was people like the evil despicable Larry Tisch and the policies of the even more evil Ronald Reagan that have unleashed the power of greed.

as for the media - the ascension of Tisch killed journalism and one of our protectors of freedom - it become the protector of corporate profits

Suzy said...

Distributor Cap -- Wow. Your comment gave me chills. Thank you for your insight and affirmation of what I suspected. And Ronald Reagan? It's no accident that an anagram for his name is Insane Anglo War Lord.