Saturday, April 03, 2010

Book Review: Boys and Girls Forever: Children's Classics from Cinderella to Harry Potter



This is a book of essays on children's literature by Alison Lurie, who is a Pulitzer Prize winner and a professor of children's literature at Cornell University. Most of these essays appeared at an earlier time in the New York Times Book Review. I picked this up on a whim from a display at my branch library, being a sucker for reading about children's literature.


To tell you the truth, these essays really annoyed me. I really didn't see a point to this book, except maybe to gather her essays in one place -- if gathered they needed to be. Each one read like a long-winded lecture from someone steeped in the self-importance of academia: Hans Christian Anderson (about whose writing I took an entire semester-long class in college), Louisa May Alcott, L. Frank Baum, John Masefield, Walter de la Mare, Dr. Seuss, Tove Jansson, J.K. Rowling, and then some more general essays on fairytales, nursery rhymes and games, illustrations, and the role of nature in children's literature. Each essay was a pronouncement: "This means that" and "This wrought these changes." They also read like the countless essays I had to write, demanding that I "compare and contrast A with B." (Dr. Lurie, please compare and contrast Tove Jansson's Moomintroll books with A.A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh.)


For me, as a person who spends every day in the living, breathing company of young children and books, so many of her pronouncements seemed wooden, and well, academic. I admit, that may well have been her intent, but it didn't sit well with me. I kept having flashbacks to the children's literature class I took as an undergrad at Keene State College, taught by a salty new England woman with an accent so thick you could cut it with a knife who intoned on and on about May Hill Arbuthnot (a noted children's literature scholar and the author of our textbook.)


I don't know how old Lurie is -- old enough to have 3 grandchildren to whom she dedicates the book -- or if she is still teaching, has even stepped into a book store any time recently, or when these essays were first written because her knowledge of illustrators seemed to stop with Maurice Sendak (she likes his later work -- which I find kids don't particularly care for) and Arnold Lobel (who died 23 years ago.) In other words, the essays were very narrow in their scope.


Now I am going to expose my deep-seated prejudice with a question: Why is Harry Potter considered a classic piece of children's literature, while other modern fantasies that have been around much longer (Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles, Joan Aiken's Wolves of Willoughby Chase, and The Hobbit for heaven's sake) get barely a nod in their direction?



I guess I have to say that children's literature is anything but academic to me. It is alive, and I am far moire interested in how to apply it (i.e. do the kids enjoy it when I read to them?) than what meanings might be hiding in the subtexts. Unless you want to re-live your undergraduate college literature courses, I would advise steering clear of this book. I wish I had.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Suzy! I will say again.. I just love your writing. And I love your critique of academic writing. Tou-bloomin'-che! I can't tell you how much this resonates with me, especially in my "position."

YOU need to write a book of essays. I'll buy it, and I'll buy one for our library.

theresa said...

Hey Suzy, Why not switch to Jack Zipes, world-class fairy tale specialist, professor at UMinn, teacher of creative storytelling in public schools, prolific scholar, and socially-minded radical critic of children's literature, (including Harry Potter)? He can be as arcane as an academic, but he's a natural storyteller and a gifted radical teacher! One of his books starts out thus:

"Many years ago, there lived a king and queen who did not allow their subjects to learn to read and write. 'The dumber they,' they said to themselves, 'the easier they are to rule.' So they posted signs all over their kingdom: 'BEWARE OF THE BIG BAD STORYTELLER!' You see, in those day, storytellers gave people ideas free of charge, and the king and queen knew that ideas lead people to think, and thinking people might have ideas of their own, and soon they might want to learn to read and write, or even put their ideas into action and govern themselves. So the king and queen were quick to spread nasty rumors about storytellers and claim that they twisted people's minds and shrunk their heads." Nice, huh?