Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Bread, Not Bombs

What possessed me, that I thought it was a good idea to start baking bread at 8:00 this evening? I'm not talking wussie bread machine bread here; this is the genuine article, made from scratch. I just had a hankering for that yeastie taste all day today. (Should have just had a beer.) But now it's 11:42, there's still another 90 minutes to go, and I have to get up and go to work in the morning. Damn you, Martha Stewart, damn you!

I could sweet talk Ed into taking over ... but then I won't get that first slice, hot from the oven. with butter melting into it. Mmmmmm.

It's a die-lemma. What's a Norwegian housewife wannabe to do?

10 comments:

Ed said...

I recommend putting the brakes on the Norwegian housewife thing before it reaches lutefisk.

Suzy said...

Lutefisk happens.

Ed said...

Not in my house, it doesn't.

poodledoc said...

Do you actually really OWN a bread machine? Are you actually contemplating lutefisk? I think its cool that you made bread, even though it was late. We all need to follow our passions. That's what you needed to do at the moment, so good for you. Bread at 8pm is good, lutefisk is not good at any time. Sorry, just my humble opinion.....

madelyn said...

i love the smell of homemade
bread - i make irish soda bread:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzy,

Bo Lozoff's idea is so true. We live in a time when the simplest of things seem rare and complex. Baking bread! I used to do that weekly in high school and college. Now in my splintered time schedule I wouldn't dream of it.

Please pass the butter and honey.

Suzy said...

Chuck: Actually I don't own a bread machine. I own a LUTEFISK machine. I bought it at Ikea. Every respectable Norwegian housewife has one. Don't you? I keep it in a drawer, right next to my egg separator. It's simple and convenient; even a 12 year old boy could operate it and have nearly instant lutefisk for an after school snack! Yum.

Ed said...

I had a slice when it was fresh from the oven. Bread, not lutefisk, that is. Yum! Good luck finding that lutefisk machine. Ha! I believe the FDA has declared lutefisk to be a controlled substance. The lutefisk lobby is up in arms, er... fins.

Suzy said...

How many lutefisks can you fit into a lobby and does anyone mind if they drip on the velveteen seats?

poodledoc said...

Yes, and I just read that you can no longer take a lutefisk maker on an airplane!

I used to see them at garage sales all the time, right next to the pasta makers.....