President Bush on Sunday shared his lamentations on "60 Minutes," the modern equivalent of the storm-swept heath. Assuming the time-honored role of Fool, CBS' Scott Pelley asked the president, "Do you think you owe the Iraqi people an apology for not doing a better job?"
Bush retorted: "That we didn't do a better job, or they didn't do a better job?…. We liberated that country from a tyrant. I think the Iraqi people owe the American people a huge debt of gratitude…. We've endured great sacrifice to help them…. [Americans] wonder whether or not there is a gratitude level that's significant enough in Iraq." More here.
Words fail me.
Wait ... here they come. I am sorry. I am sorry that the "leader" of the United States behaves badly, acts in such a peevish manner, and shows so little compassion. I am sorry that his bad behavior has had such catastrophic consequences in Iraq and beyond. I hope that somehow, someday the people of Iraq (Afghanistan, Palestine, Lebanon, etc. etc.) will find it in their hearts to forgive the people of the United States. But I don't think we can expect it.





8 comments:
Dear Wife and I heard this on the radio this morning while having coffee and nearly sprayed each other. So the problem is that the Iraqi people are not GRATEFUL enough?
Later today we were listening to NPR's "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me!," their weekly comedy news quiz show, and Paula Poundstone (whom I love) started riffing on this, about how maybe the Iraqis would be more grateful if, when they turned on the lights at 3 am, they actually had ELECTRICITY...
Yes, the mind does boggle here.
Aaargh.
Absolutely absurd!
It's way past time for Humpty Dumpty to fall off the wall........
So, I guess the lesson is, "Running this country means never having to say you're sorry?"
Arrogance and spite are two of the worst vices. My mind veers off the road every time I hear this man's voice. I keep thinking about this: if the tables were turned, and American's had Iraqi men and women in the streets killing ten times as many Americans as Iraqi's. Nothing in my childhood prepared me for what we are witnessing. Thank you, Suzy, for keeping the spotlight on him.
While I agree with you in spirit, a part of me wonders why people whose views are being ignored should have to apologize for that, mean, stupid little man. Yes, he's using our tax dollars to commit his crimes, but we don't have much choice in how those tax dollars are spent. Put the moron in an Iraqi prison, I say.
Thanks everyone for your comments.
He is a mean little man. Huffington Post had a photo of him today that was more painful to look at than usual. It IS time for him to go, and his puppeteers too. I'd like to see all of them tried in an international court, but I'm not holding my breath. Until then -- even though I consider him not to be my president, even though the atrocities are being committed despite what I want to see my tax dollars spent on -- I'll say I'm sorry, because like it or not, he is the face of the US that the rest of the world sees.
Post a Comment