Thursday, January 11, 2007

Play the "The Terrorists Hate Our Freedom" Game

It's fun and easy. How do you play? Look around for examples of obscene excess or wastefulness. When you find one, nudge your companion and say loudly, "The terrorists hate our freedom."

Here are some examples to get you started:

  • Hummers
  • Stretch Hummers
  • Massive refigerators with a DVD player built into the door
  • Remote-control operated bidets ...
I'm sure you will find many more.

9 comments:

poodledoc said...

How about latte's, raincoats for dogs, lutefisk machines, dog ice cream, dog cologne, chocolate voodoo dolls, chili dogs, what a great game!!!!

Ed said...

Corn dogs...

...and speaking of lutefisk machines, check out the Lutefisk Machine Museum next time you're in Mt. Horeb. Among the many treasures contained in its hallowed walls, it boasts the world's first lutefisk machine, both the largest and smallest lutefisk machines, and a solid gold lutefisk machine commisioned by Adolf Hitler for Eva Braun. And they even give you a free lutefisk sample once you've completed the tour! Is this a great country, or what?

The terrorists hate us for our freedom!

And what do you have against lattes?

Suzy said...

Chuck: Well, I was going to include specialty boutiques for dogs, but I thought I might offend you.

Ginnie said...

Our whole country is just one big ball of excess. I can't believe how many people feel it is their God-given right to have more and more of everything...while the rest of the world looks on and hates us. Whatever happened to the Kennedy line "Ask not what your country can do for you...what can you do for your country"
Good post.

poodledoc said...

Suzy, I'm not offended, but my dog is...........I thought you took Georgia to one of those doggie spas every month....or maybe it was a corn dog spa.....

And, just for the record, latte's are just not as good as mocha's, which the terrorists hate us for....and Frappacino's.....

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzy,

I read your post and got carried away and told Verizon to cancel my wasteful internet service. I think the terrorists hate that freedom.

No seriously, folks.

Servet and I decided that we were surfing way too much on the net, and not enjoying the simple pleasures in our immediate life. So we are trying life without the net for two months.

I'm limited to the library and my office, so I've been a bit absent.

Anyway, I agree with your post. The three key words in that slogan ("terrorists" "hate" "freedoms") are just so meaningless. Do I need to expand on that?

This morning I heard Bill Moyer speak for about an hour on the current state of things. When Bill Moyer expresses indignation and anger, you KNOW things have gotten bad!

This is what was refreshing: he spoke using real research, real analysis, real gentlemanly English. He went so much deeper than slogans and the cheap potshots that emanate from both sides. His was a well built condemnation of the political machine that created this war.

The key to his analysis of media talk was this: "When you realize that they are telling your story all wrong, then it's time to start telling your own story." I immediately thought of Luminiferous Ether.

Suzy said...

Sigh.
Ginnie, I agree. How is it that we can live in the world's wealthiest country (or one of them) and have so much depression, so much violence, &tc.? But I also don't want to sound self-righteous or sanctimonious. I think it's possible to maintain a comfortable lifestyle and still be mindful of what is sustainable and just. Americans seem to be on a runaway train, and so many aren't thinking straight.

Suzy said...

Caroline: Luminiferous ether is just invisible space goo. Actually, thank you. And so many people are telling the story the right way. (Sometimes)I am hopeful that more and more are listening.

Suzy said...

Chuck, I am actually quite partial to the mocha millies at Zoma, I will admit. But I try to remember to bring my own cup and I rarely indulge.