I've been sick the last couple of days, which has given me a little time to wade through the stack of books next to my bed. This is the book that I just finished, and I highly recommend it.As a child growing up during the sixties, the war in Viet Nam permeated my life. I grew up a mile from campus in Madison, Wisconsin -- one of the "hotbeds" of war protest. We could smell the teargas at our house, and because they were medical personnel and active war resistors, my mom and dad often volunteered to patch up protesters after confrontations with the police or National Guard.
When the news of the massacre at My Lai broke with the full color photographs in Life Magazine, I pored over them endlessly.
Those images were etched onto my psyche -- where they remain to this day.
Nevertheless, I still know very little about Viet Nam. Lady Borton's book gives some background for what the Vietnamese people call "The American War", and is a testament to what a remarkably resilient and forgiving people the people of Viet Nam are. Lady Borton worked in Viet Nam throughout the war, and then was the first Westerner allowed to live in a Vietnamese village after the war ended. Through her writing the women, who provided much of the resistance throughout the war, tell their harrowing and tragic stories. Yet this book contains so much joy and affirmation.
My friend Mike Boehm, a veteran himself, who realized that his own psychological wounds from Viet Nam were slowly bleeding him to death, founded a project in the early nineties that set up a revolving micro-loan fund for women in the My Lai Province. Since then he has worked to establish a peace park in My Lai, raised money to build a school and clinic in the area, and facilitates art exchanges between students in the Madison area and their Vietnamese counterparts. He was featured in an award-winning Vietnamese documentary, The Sound of the Violin at My Lai. If you have a chance to see it, by all means do.
Mike goes back to Viet Nam once or twice each year. Every time he returns I say, "I wish I could go" and he says, "Anytime you want to go with me, let me know." One of these days ...
An afterthought: Every single woman that shared her story with Borton in After Sorrow suffered grievous losses at the hands of the Americans or the US supported puppet regime -- they lost children, husbands, parents, their homes, their livelihoods, and many of them spent time in prison where they were beaten and tortured. Yet they welcomed Borton with open arms; time and again, they would say "Give our greetings to your American brothers and sisters. They are our friends." I cannot help but compare that with the US response to the attacks of 9/11; 5 years down the road the self pity, the bigotry, the absolute inability or refusal to step into a different pair of shoes to view the world in a different way...





6 comments:
Hi Luminiferous
This post gave me shivers, partly because of the excellent writing, but also because of the content. So many countries have their "American War," don't they now? How shameful that most of the world sees the USA (I can't say "us") through the wrong end of a gun. And we never really get to know their cultures. Who are the Vietnamese? I never really learned anything about them. They must have been incredibly strong to have held things together under such violence. Also, I remember Madison in the late 60's. I was too young to remember much of anything, except that my older siblings were involved in anti-war protests on campus -- and came home red-eyed from tear gas. I am tempted to read the book.
I hope you will read the book. It was great. And I DO want to go to Viet Nam. I have the video I mentioned, so I can loan it to you. I also recommend one called Regret To Inform.
We in the US are so isolated from the rest of the world. They know far more of us than we do of them.
Next book on my docket: Reading Lolita in Tehran.
Beautifully written. I remember the Viet Nam era very well but lived far from any kind of demonstrations. This is a book I will add to my "To Read" list so that I might better understand what happened.
Great post.
{{{{Feel better.}}}}
I hope you are feeling better now xo
I grew up in the 60's too but being down here in Australia, I was removed from the Vietnam war.. I don't know much about it either... I do however, attend the Vietnam march in August here to honour all those who went to war.
oh and my husband and I are planning on going to Vietnam later this year, I hope
Miss*R -- Oooh, I want to hear about your trip. Is it for business? Vacation?
If you get a chance, go see the Water Puppet Theater. (I am feeling the urge to do a separate post about that! They came to a puppet festival here about 8 years ago and it was one of the most magical things I have ever seen in all my born days!!
None of the websites about it are great, but this one has pictures: http://www.vietscape.com/travel/
hanoi/puppet.html)
Post a Comment