
Ladies and Gentlemen ...
Dust off your Hammond organs, please. Flex your fingers for ... The Skaters' Waltz.
My youngest daughter persuaded us to go ice skating with her tonight. It's so much easier to stay inside, but ah, skating is one of the pleasures of living in a place with winter! And it's finally winter! And it's free!!
We didn't make it out of the house until after the warming house had closed, but that's okay. It wasn't too cold to change outside, there was plenty of ambient light, and the ice was freshly groomed. We were the only ones there, the 3 of us plus the Georgia the Wonder Dog (always happy to go anywhere, especially if there are treats involved. Go here to read more about Georgia's love affair with treats and how it almost led to her untimely demise.)
In my memory, half my childhood was spent ice skating. We'd skate until our fingers and toes were numb, warm them up a little, and then skate some more. I remember walking home from the park on feet that felt like all the toes had broken off and were rattling around loose in my boots! I don't think I ever got frostbite though. Would it have mattered? Naw. I was a kid!
Then I'd get home and fight with my brother over who got the choicest spot in front of the register to thaw out. And then we'd repeat it all the next day. I hope I never get too old to enjoy this weather!





2 comments:
OK, first let's discuss pacing, Luminiferous. Now seriously. I've checked your blog every day for the past WEEK, but nothing. So I took a few hours off. Now I see that I've missed three (3) posts. What the devil? You are probably posting another one as I write this.
I loved this post. I never really got the hang of ice skating, but I really enjoy watching regular people at regular rinks glide around and around. I like the theme of memory that binds this whole essay together.
Bwahahahaha. My dastardly plot to confuse Potato Prints is nearly complete. And I shall have COMPLETE CONTROL of the free blogging world! Bwahahahahahahah.
Post a Comment