
Many thanks to hippie-gone-mean Pygalgia who posted a reminder on his blog that it was on this date in 1974 that Richard Nixon resigned the presidency rather than go through impeachment proceedings.
I was 14 when Nixon resigned. I watched his resignation speech on t.v. in a Tokyo hotel room (in between watching reruns of Bewitched and I Dream Of Jeannie dubbed in Japanese.) We got home a few days later to find that my older brother, who was "watching the house", had done a little too much dancing in the streets that night. In his elation he had taken a meat cleaver and decapitated a little fiberglass mannequin that we had, before somehow knocking the ventilation fan out of the kitchen wall. My mom was kind of upset with him. (Sorry, Jim, for revealing family secrets here. But you'll never know I revealed anything, 'cause you never read my blog. Bwahahaha.)
Yeah, I remember when accountability extended to the Executive Branch.





7 comments:
Hey, Thanks. I'm going to add you to my b'roll, cuz you have a nice blog. Glad I found it (thanks to Jess).
Sadly, the answer to your title questions are NO and NO.....
but in spite of that, I still have hope. Sometimes I start to feel foolish for having hope in this non-hopeful "culture" but I catch myself. Or one of my friends inspires me. The bad guys may seem to be winning, but they are not.......
PS. I can make sure Jim reads your blog...bwahahahaha!
Nah; Jim pays absolutely no attention to anything I do. Somehow in his mind I am still only 7 years old.
I remember Nixon resigning--it was the night we were moving from Va to OR, as my husband was going to start grad school at OSU in the fall. We were 23. So full of hope, being young and our futures ahead of us, and Nixon leaving. . . .Age (mine) and the strident narrow view of this administration leave me little hope. Sad.
Jan, it's that Pandora's Box thing. I have to hang on to a little hope and then I have to create hope through my actions. I'm trying, but I agree -- the current state of affairs make it so difficult.
Well, I was in my 20s when Nixon resigned.. and I think they just hid it better before that. :)
Peace,
~Chani
Post a Comment