Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Happy Birthday to my bro. Paul

That's him on the right. The family mythology goes that I was promised to him for his 3rd birthday, but I came a day early and he was pissed off. That may explain why he became my nemesis for the next 12 or so years, putting his enormous intellect to use cooking up ingenious new ways to make me cry, such as combining my name (Suzy) with the word "pig" and calling me "Sig" or directing beams of light at me and chanting, "Spotlight on stinkbomb Suzy." (When my parents finally intervened, he changed it to "Spotlight on you-know-who." When they put a stop to that, he figured out that all he had to do was quietly hum the cadence of the chant. He was a master.) He ended my one person crime spree at Treasure Island by teasing me mercilessly -- using the now patented quiet humming method -- about something I shoplifted, until in desperation I returned said item (I suppose I owe it to him that I'm not doing time in San Quentin.)

I was a textbook example of the Stockholm Syndrome and worshiped the ground he walked on. A day he let me tag along with him and his friends was a good day indeed, and I lived for those times. I frequently tried to buy my way into his good graces with Bazooka Joe comics, of which he was a passionate collector.

Somewhere around the time I was 12 the antagonism stopped and we became friends. I love him dearly. Happy birthday, Paul!

6 comments:

poodledoc said...

I can see the family resemblance! (just kidding!). Who's the kid on the left?

Suzy said...

That's my cousin Chuck, Chuck. His dad (brother to my dad) writes incredibly reactionary rightwing letters to the editor and Chuck is pretty much on the same wavelength. He lost his hearing working for the Kipp Corporation, but of course it's not THEIR fault. Whose fault is it? The feminists, the liberals, gay people … you get the picture. How did one family spawn 2 such different people? My dad was the weirdo.

poodledoc said...

Wow! I just read they've discovered the gene that makes you a reactionary Right Winger. It lurks in families, even (OMG) progressive families....

But seriously, sorry to touch a familial nerve

Anonymous said...

YOU SHOPLIFTED?! :-P Nice going, mom. Never told me that story, now did you. Aren't you glad I started reading your blog?

Suzy said...

Dear shocked and appalled -- It means I have to be very careful what I write about YOU. How much is it worth to you for me not post naked baby pix?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...do you WANT me to come home for Thanksgiving? Just a thought. :-P