Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Call Your Name - Johnny Clegg & Savuka


A couple of thoughts to hold on to in the midst of these bleak times:

These musicians played together illegally in South Africa, performing this joyful, exuberant, hopeful, political music years before the fall of apartheid.

At the time this was recorded, few could have foreseen that apartheid would soon fall in an essentially bloodless revolution (although there was an awful lot of blood shed during the apartheid years.)

On a more personal note:

Johnny Clegg is one of my all-time favorite performers. I used to blast the album Shadowman on my car stereo driving to work when I was pregnant with my first child, and felt her first movement to this music.

When he opened for Bob Dylan in 1989, we drove 2 hours to the concert but left before Mr. Zimmerman came on. We only really wanted to see Johnny Clegg.

We saw him again in our hometown the following year, and it was absolutely the best concert I've ever been to, bar none. (He rarely tours in the U.S., so if you have a chance to see him you should.)

Anyway, I hope it provides something of sustenance on this somber anniversary.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay now you're freaking me out. I was just thinking about how much I dug Johnny and the boys the other day. Great minds think alike.

Fran said...

What memories this post evokes. I totally loved Johnny Clegg and Savuka.

At that time, technology demanded that I make a cassette of my vinyl album so I could play it in my walkman. I had to redo it several times because the tape got all warpy from so much play.

Thank you Suzy!

Suzy said...

More JC coming later today ...

You Tube has a ton of his stuff.

poodledoc said...

Yes, he's awesome. Is he touring? coming to Madison or nearby anytime soon. That's a funny story about walking out on Mr Zimmerman. I met the doctor who brought him into this world. Lived here in Madison. Probably knew your dad, I would bet.....

Suzy said...

Well, there WERE extenuating circumstances. We had left the 5 month old at home with the grandparents for the first extended period of time, and I was a bit of a wreck, as I'm sure Mr. Ether would tell you in lurid detail. Tracy Chapman came on after Johnny Clegg, and we did stay to hear part of her set. Frankly, Bob Dylan doesn't do much for me -- hasn't since Blood on the Tracks.

Anonymous said...

God, Johnny Clegg hasn't been around in ages. And I had no idea that I first moved to his music...that explains a lot about my infant months...

Suzy said...

And just what does it explain about your infant months? Do you remember we dressed you in what we called your Johnny Clegg pants?

But, back to my original question. You also moved like mad to the Bulgarian Women's Chorus. And when you screamed as an infant, Daddy used to dance you to Steeleye Span and Emmylou Harris.

Does that explain why you stood on the dog?

Ed said...

Don't forget Los Lobos. Along with the aforementioned artists, Los Lobos' "La Pistolá y El Corazón" was a surefire piece for dancing "Your Daughter" to sleep... eventually. Ufda! I get tired just thinking about it.

Suzy said...

Ah, but you miss those days, don't you? I sure do.

Suzy said...

P.S. Daughter in question was a lousy sleeper.

Ed said...

Yes, I miss them. I really miss them.