
(Yeah, I'm a poet who doesn't know it.)
This nugget, from Harper's Weekly:
Nominally antiwar Democrats Barack
Obama, Hillary Clinton, and John Edwards admitted that if
elected to the White House they would worry about
terrorism launched from a failed Iraqi state, threats to
the Kurds, and the prospect of Shiite-on-Sunni genocide,
and because of these fears they would continue the occupation of Iraq for a long time. [emphasis mine]





8 comments:
... which means that not one of them deserves our support.
Period.
I agree. So who DOES deserve our support? Sir Ralph the Arrogant? Sir Dennis the Abstainer? Who? Harry Potter? Sean Penn? Viggo Mortenson? I am just so sick of where people are going. I was getting mildly interested in Obama, but now he's a bomber like the rest of them....Nader and Kucinich don't feel like real candidates to me. If they were to become "threats" to the Democrats and Republicans, they'd have "accidents" in small aircraft like Mr Wellstone......but as long as they are relegated to quaint gadly roles, they are safe......and no, I won't apologize for my passion!
I meant to say "gadfly" not "gadly". Sorry.
But … as long as they are written off as not viable, they won't be. I won't go into Nader here, because we've covered that ground many times, but Dennis? Well, I read what he had to say about abstinence and I disagree with him (and by the way, it's spelled wrong on his website.) He is, however, still pro-choice and he is not advocating abstinence ONLY which I think is significant. So much of what he has to say is correct; he's pro-peace, pro-labor unions, pro-health care. He is the only member of Congress who had the guts to introduce articles of impeachment. I feel like I threw my vote away on Kerry in '04. I feel like the majority of Democrats have betrayed people like me again and again. QD is right, Not one of the so-called front runners deserves our support, but they bank on us saying, "Oh well, they're better than the alternative." And there are a few Dims I can think of who I hope have the sense to stay out of small planes.
PoodleDoc, we really MUST get together to watch the Ralph Nader documentary. Soon. My feeling is, much of the anger that has been directed at Nader should have been directed at the members of Congress who actually certified the 2000 election when it was so clearly fraudulent. Of course, that was a sign of things to come, wasn't it? Oh well, I said we wouldn't discuss Nader here so I'm signing off.
Nader didn't cost Gore the 2000 election. Gore cost Gore the election the night of the first debate between himself and Bush when he said that the two of them agreed on more things than they disagreed about. He cost himself the election by running a smug and half-baked excuse for a campaign that refused to fight back when he was attacked. He lost when he refused to contest Florida in court into January.
IOW, Gore lost because he was a wuss. And I hope he stays out of this race, because he'll just do the same darn thing.
I'm volunteering for Kucinich. Of the crowd available, he's by far the best of the bunch. He's not perfect, but his positions and IDEAS (he actually has some of those) line up nicely with my political and social values. First, we have to get his name on the ballot here in Jersey. I got my petition pages yesterday.
Does he have a snowball's chance of winning the nomination? Probably not. But I refuse to capitulate to the system. I refuse to allow my cynicism to overcome my capacity for hope. The bad guys are depending on our despair. It's time we started kicking back and screaming into their very faces, "ENOUGH!"
And lordy, how I miss Paul Wellstone these days...
Nader had some interesting (and complimentary) things to say about Gore on Democracy Now! a few weeks back.
Post a Comment