Monday, December 10, 2007

Holiday Peace Market

We held our first ever holiday peace market yesterday at my Friends' meeting house. Doing this has long been a dream of mine, and thankfully, Ffriend Lester joined me in the organizing so that it actually happened! It was a resounding success, and many of the participants left talking about "When we do this next year ..." We had pottery, awesome posters by Lester, prints, watercolors, felted mittens made by me, baked goods, hand sewn items, body care products, cards, calendars and fair trade coffee and tea. Many of us were earmarking our proceeds for charity. I intend to split mine between a family at my school and a Quaker-run NGO in Vietnam called Steady Footsteps. Two other vendors, Glenn and Kathy, gave me a portion of their proceeds and altogether we raised a tidy sum to donate. It was a lot of work to get ready, but well worth it in the end.

An advertisement: Looking for a 2008 calendar? This Returned Peace Corps Volunteers calendar is my favorite one, and it happens to be made by friends of mine right here in Madison.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's people like you and events like this that don't make me lose my faith in Christians all together. Keep up the good work.

Suzy said...

Yeah, but I might be an atheist. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful event. Did you photograph any of your offerings? I usually turn into Scrooge at this time of year, but this fills me with optimism. Sorry I didn't come. I was at a Lutheran sale and luncheon in Stoughton.

Pam said...

Besides family, this is what Christmas should be about. And I agree with you, the Peace Corps calendar is touching and beautiful.

Pam said...

I meant to say "beautifully done."

Diane M. Roth said...

I like the peace corps calendar too. I used to like the Cat lovers against the bomb calendar. Do they still make those?

Diane M. Roth said...

I like the peace corps calendar too. I used to like the Cat lovers against the bomb calendar. Do they still make those?

poodledoc said...

I love those gorgeous mittens you made. No one has stolen them yet!

And thanks so much for organizing this. It was a great idea and a lot of fun. There's regular Farmer's Markets. Surely there must be regular Peace Markets?